It is so hard not to eat with my family!

wyo_sarah
on 8/3/14 1:33 am

I got my sleeve on Tuesday and I'm finding that my biggest struggle is not being able to eat with my family. They are in the dining room enjoying toast and sausage gravy...no biscuits because that is my part of breakfast cooking and it is really hard for me to be around food. I'm sitting in the living room weeping...not because I want to eat although I do. Just because I feel sad. I can't even explain why I'm so sad. I hope it gets easier. 

Dawn ..
on 8/3/14 1:45 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi Sarah. Congratulations on a successful surgery. It will be OK. I have read in this forum that after VSG surgery, your hormones are out of synch, that may be why you are feeling sad.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Gwen M.
on 8/3/14 1:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I started eating with my family when I got to puréed foods and life improved significantly for me. I just puréed for myself what I cooked for them and from there on out we've eaten the same meals together. So I totally feel your pain - it gets better!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

grayC
on 8/3/14 1:49 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Hun...no need to explain we have all been there..

it was amazing to me how much of a hold food had on me

it was everything, wrapped up in all I did...actually IN FACT it was ...ALL. I DID!!

At a couple days out my hubby got pizza for him and the kids..

oh man it was killer..even at over a year out, I can still feel the emotions of that day,

sitting in the family room while they ate, ready to cry...when they got up from the table and went 

upstairs, I actually walked over to the box, opened it and shoved my nose not 2 inches from a slice 

and took a big ole WIFF!! 

All I can say is it passes, food doesn't hold an allure for me (homemade cookies and brownies are another thing!) it's always going to be a process but it will become more and more easy to deal with

especially when you start seeing the weight drop!!

ToFreeSkinnyMe
on 8/3/14 1:57 am
VSG on 07/28/14

I take a shower or go fold laundry. I also started to record The Big Bang Theory on the bedroom dvr. When they eat I go in the bedroom, get comfy and turn on an episode. After a few minutes and lots of laughs, I forget about the food. Good luck!

wyo_sarah
on 8/3/14 2:04 am

Thanks everyone.  Going to the bedroom to watch TV is a good idea. 

Valerie G.
on 8/3/14 4:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If these sad feelings continue, let your doctor know.  Many suffer depression post-op, and it's totally treatable, but the doc has to know that you're suffering.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LenaMc
on 8/3/14 4:43 am
VSG on 06/25/14

Congrats on your surgery. It does get better. It may not seem like it will and it may seem like you've made mistake or have up part of your life. Many, if not all of us have been there. 

Once you reach purées it will change for you. Food has attachments to all of us. Just think of how amazing you'll look after a month or even in 2 weeks! 

I would bring it up to your doctor at your follow up. I cried during my one week follow up - I mean totally bawling, whimpering and tears! It's completely ok to fall apart now and then. 

If it helps - I blogged my journey - all the ugly, bad, and good of it. 

http://skinnymcme.blogspot.com

stay strong! 

amyvsg6614
on 8/4/14 11:21 am
VSG on 06/06/14

When I was just a cpl days out I made my family a spaghetti dinner and cried because I couldn't eat it.. The smell of the garlic bread was killer! I went in my room and had a little pity party for myself.. I could hear my family talk and laugh, and I was missing out on their conversation. I didn't want my kids to grow up remembering mom sitting in the other room when the family ate dinner together. So I made a promise to myself to sit there while they were eating no matter how hard it was. I sat with them from then on out and just talked to them broth in hand... I am now about 9 weeks out.. I still struggle because I am still on soft mushy foods, but I promise it gets so much easier! When you can eat foods other then liquids, you will be so full feeling that you wont want that much food.. I wish you the best. Have a great night and keep your chin up ;) Remember you wont be on liquids the rest of your life and food will always be there :)

Lemily
on 8/6/14 3:26 am
VSG on 01/16/14

You will be on an emotional roller coaster for a few months with all your changes. Expect it and accept it when it happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. And if its too much to handle, you may want to come to the boards, go to a support group, or meet with a therapist....nothing to be ashamed of.

Meal time in my house is our family time. It's the only time we sit down together, eat, and talk with no tv on, so I know exactly how you are feeling. I took a slightly different approach when I had my surgery in January. I was not going to let anything interrupt my time with my family. I actually cooked all mine/their favorite foods every night and made sure I sat down with them. While I ate my soup (and then eventually normal food), they ate their food. It just becomes the new normal and its something I had to accept. Pasta nights...i skip the pasta make some meat sauce get some ricotta cheese and put it on top. When i was further along, I bought protini pasta. It only has 7 carbs with 23g of protein. Comes in pre-portioned serving size. Is it the same as pasta, no. Is it a good substitute...absolutely! These are the little tricks that you will learn to feel normal.

I do 99.9% of the grocery shopping, meal planning, and cooking. Therefore, now mostly make meals that I can eat in moderation as well. I may make sides that I can't have for the kids, but I can eat my protein and a little bit of veggies and am fine. If i know the next night the kids want something that I can't eat, I will make an extra portion of the previous nights dinner and save it for that night. I do not put the serving platters on the table and make my plate and their plates from the counter so that my fork doesnt magically reach in for more or just one more bite..b/c honestly, the one more bites contributed to my explosive weight gain.

It does get easier. You are 1 day out. You need to heal and you need to focus. And when you need support, you come here. There are thousands of people who have felt the way you do right now. You aren't alone. Chin up buttercup...it will get easier, but you need to let time work in your favor.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views