Too soon for State Fair?

Calaska
on 8/12/14 6:07 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

My daughter just called offering me an opportunity for a nearly free ticket to the Alaska State Fair. I go every year (by myself!  It's my treat to Me!), but this year I'll be two weeks out from my VSG. Do you think I'll be up to all that walking around?  There are lots of places to sit down to rest. And the walking would be good for me. I just don't know if I should make the drive only to find out I can't do it.  How did you feel two weeks out?

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Gwen M.
on 8/12/14 6:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

At two weeks out I was able to walk about 40 minutes at a time on the treadmill.  I was just transitioning from full liquids to pureed foods.  I was really starting to feel more human and interested in being out and about.  

You'll definitely need to plan - take your own drinks (protein shakes and water) and whatever food you're allowed to eat at that point.  I would not expect anything at the fair to fit into my way of eating.  But I think I would have been able to do it.  

On the topic of state fairs, I've never actually been to one, but this year I'll be going to the MD fair!  I can't wait.  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Calaska
on 8/12/14 4:04 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Opps!  I didn't even give a thought to food!  Wow, I'll have to think that one through!  Thanks for stating the obvious. That why I turn to you guys!

~Jan

Flygirlmedic
on 8/12/14 6:25 am

2 weeks out I was back at work and traveling again. I had to rest some but felt pretty good.

Walking will do you good. Just take it slow, drink your fluids and sit and rest when you feel like you need to. You should be fine. Plan your foods too. I do the Texas State Fair every year and there is not much for us to eat. Not sure about Alaska but everything here is fried.

VSG 2/25/14 Dr. David Kim    HT 5'5" 51yo SW 230 CW 170.2 GW 135

Justme7
on 8/12/14 6:57 am, edited 8/12/14 6:57 am - ID

It is funny that you posted this today. Our fair starts on Friday and I had surgery last Wednesday and want to go this weekend, but am not sure I am ready.  I easily meet my liquid requirement each day and start full liquids on Friday.  I drove today for the first time as I had a dentist appointment and had to pick up more protein.  I feel pretty good for the most part but feel funny when I walk around.  I can't explain it.....I don't feel dizzy or nauseous it is more of a weak feeling. But I do get in all my fluids and don't feel dehydrated.  So I am in the same exact boat fair or no fair.   

Nottooskinnyplease
on 8/12/14 7:34 am

I wouldn't worry about the walking.  Take a rest if you need it.  I don't know about your State Fair but my State's is full of terrible food. They do news articles every year about the new deep dried and bacon covered items.  They even have a a Krispy Creme burger - that's right a double cheese burger with all the fixins between 2 krispee Creme donuts.  If you go don't do what I did at 4 weeks and cheat.  There isn't really anything at the fair you can eat at two weeks as far as I could see from mine. 

Blithe1212
on 8/12/14 8:54 am
VSG on 03/05/14

When I was only a few weeks out I had horrible head hunger. Smelling food cooking was the worst. Even food commercials bothered me. I say skip the fair. Take care of yourself. Good luck

Calaska
on 8/12/14 4:07 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

That's a good thought. I could easily avoid the food booths, as they are usually all together. It would be challenging, though. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views