3 weeks out and still feeling yucky...

wyo_sarah
on 8/18/14 7:33 am

I'm three weeks out from my surgery tomorrow and I still feel really yucky.  I'm nauseated a lot, I'm very weak, and very tired.  I'm a teacher and was back with students today and it was very difficult.  I had to stand and interpret (I teach deaf students) an assembly for about a half hour and I was really afraid I was going to have to stop and sit down.  I'm getting about 60 oz of water a day and 60-80 grams of protein.  My only thought is maybe I'm not getting enough calories or perhaps I'm not getting my protein frequently enough.  I had a 30 gram shake that I sipped on most of the morning and then some refried beans for lunch (only 5 grams).  I'm hoping to get some yogurt in for dinner and then another shake before bed.  I'm averaging about 400-600 calories a day.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  At this point I feel so terrible I'm thinking I made a horrible decision.

LSophia
on 8/18/14 7:41 am

Are you walking regularly? I am trying to build stamina in preparation for work by going on several walks a day because I am a nurse and will be on my feet all day once I go back to work. I find that I feel much better both energy wise and with my GI track if I get my walks in. 

wyo_sarah
on 8/18/14 7:59 am

Really, I don't have the energy to do much walking.  I'm walking for work, around the school, at my other business, at the grocery store, etc. but I don't go for walks per se.  But, also, I live out in the country and so there isn't really anywhere to walk...I can't walk on the road, it isn't safe.  And I can't go somewhere just to walk because I have businesses to take care of, two children, animals, etc.  My doc said to start exercising at 6 weeks out so I'm hoping to start swimming in the mornings, but at this point, I know I don't have the energy to.  I'm so weak I struggle to take a shower.  It is awful.

Amy M.
on 8/18/14 7:43 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I'm 3 weeks out. I've been eating every couple hours and I've reduced my protein shake consumption to one shake in the morning so that the majority of my protein comes from actual food. I'm not going back to wor****il next month as my surgeon typically didn't give clearance to go bac****il he sees his patients at the one month follow up appointment. Just make sure to stay hydrated and try to eat more often in small quantities. That's what's working for me I don't feel tired at all. 

Stay positive though, you can do this! 

wyo_sarah
on 8/18/14 8:00 am

What are you eating that is giving you that much protein?  I'm not eating much yet...some yogurt, eggs (although I haven't been able to finish an entire egg yet), refried beans, but that is about it.

Amy M.
on 8/18/14 8:11 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I've been eating hard boiled and soft boiled eggs, fat free cottage cheese, ricotta cheese with red sauce, ground turkey with red sauce and tuna.  2 oz of ground turkey is 10g of protein.  I am able to eat 2 oz max at a time and I am able to get in 1 egg at a time if I eat slow and pace myself.  

Gwen M.
on 8/18/14 8:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It seems like you're not getting enough liquids, so I'd work on increasing that.  Nausea can be a sign of dehydration.  Have you talked to your surgeon about how you're feeling?  It's not really uncommon to still be weak and miserable 3 weeks after major surgery!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wyo_sarah
on 8/18/14 8:46 am

I did talk with the surgeon and he thought is was dehydration.  I'm trying so hard to drink more.  I'm getting at least 60 ounces in a day, but I'm just drinking, drinking, drinking all the time.  Except when I eat, of course.  Hopefully a few more days of lots and lots of water and I'll start to feel better.

Gwen M.
on 8/18/14 8:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It can definitely be hard to get all our liquids in, but it's super important!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

atomicorange
on 8/19/14 5:45 am
VSG on 07/28/14

I'm three weeks out too. If it helps, my surgeon said not to worry about the "no drinks with meals" rule just yet. It's really to keep you feeling full longer, but at this point nothing is really hanging out in the tummy long anyway, and if you're like me you're not really hungry anyway. If it helps you get the liquids in, you might ask your doctor about it.

Broth also helps me. I get to count it as liquid, and the salt makes me thirstier.

best of luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views