What to buy pre-surgery?

meganlindoo
on 8/19/14 5:56 am
VSG on 08/29/14

Hello!  Well, I'm a week and a half away from my VSG!  Can't believe how fast the last 4 months have flown by!  I'm a crazy combination of excited and nervous!  I'm looking for advice about what to buy and have at home before I even head to surgery.  And also - what will I want in the hospital?  Thanks so much! 

EverydayDiva
on 8/19/14 6:03 am

There are some good posts on what to take to the hospital that I am sure someone will repost for you (I didn't keep the links, but remember them being very helpful to me when I went in for my surgery).

My only tip would be you probably don't need as much as you think. I still have a pantry full of broth, medical-quality protein soups and 'full liquid' soups and even pudding cups. I forgot that 1 can = 4 meals, and underestimated how sick I would get of things so quickly. And once I was allowed to eat soft foods, eating those items no longer had any appeal for me. They're the right things to buy - just don't overstock on them.

Good luck with your surgery!

meganlindoo
on 8/19/14 1:38 pm
VSG on 08/29/14

Thanks! I'm really fighting not stockpiling things...! I keep having to tell myself I won't be bedridden and can always go get things! 

Amy M.
on 8/19/14 7:06 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I brought a robe and slippers to the hospital and never used them.  They give you slipper socks and an extra gown to wear backwards for a robe. I also brought chapstick but was so out of it that I never used that either.  When it comes down to it the only thing I brought to the hospital that I made use of was my cell phone, charger, and an extension cord so I could keep my phone nearby.  Good luck with your surgery! 

meganlindoo
on 8/19/14 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/29/14

Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 8/19/14 7:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's a list of the things I bought, the stuff I actually used is in bold.  

http://myvsg.livejournal.com/27183.html

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

meganlindoo
on 8/19/14 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/29/14

Excellent!  Thanks!!

jessica1371
on 8/19/14 11:29 am, edited 8/19/14 11:34 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

How exciting... when is your date? I'm a week and half out... Aug 29th!! 

I have my bag:

• comfy clothes to go home in
  • my OWN pillow?  (I'm a freak)
  • my crocs (I love those stupid things)
  • chapstick.. I heard that is a biggie!!
  • oral care- mouthwash is a biggie!!
  • my cough drops (I've had this stupid tickle -allergy related)
  • cell phone/charger/headphones
  • kindle/charger
  • extension cord (so it will reach to my bed)
  • personal care toiletries (shampoo/body wash (in case) hair care/brush)
  • even though I most likely won't use it (lipgloss, eyeshadow) just so I don't look like a zombie..LOL
  • ??  I'm sure I'm missing something...LOL

I have always over packed when I go places....LOL

As for home, I will make sure the house is SPOTLESS, so I can come home to a nice clean house!

Protein shakes, broth, jello... 

Good luck

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

meganlindoo
on 8/19/14 1:48 pm
VSG on 08/29/14

That's my date, too!!  And you have a bag packed already?!  I didn't even have a hospital bag packed a week before any of my due dates!!  And omg, if I could clean my house and have it STAY that way while I was in the hospital..??  That would be AMAZING!!  Thanks for sharing your list!  And good luck on your surgery!!

Tracy D.
on 8/20/14 12:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

At the hospital you'll need a lot less than you think.  I took my iPad and never used it.  Cell phone, charger and chapstick -- that's ll I needed, really.  

Follow the advice of everyone else on here:  don't stock up on a lot of anything because you never know what is going to taste good or bad, sound appealing or unappealing once you get home.  Have a few things around but you won't need much the first few days.  And by then you'll be able to go to the store and shop for what you do want.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views