Gastric bypass card

Dawn ..
on 8/26/14 8:27 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I am reading through the binder that my NUT gave me and color coding the tabs so I can find stuff easily (my sister said I am anal), and I come across a paragraph that says "Always carry your gatric bypass card that tells emergency responders not to use a nado-gastric (NG) tube."

What the heebies does that mean?  I think this is strictly for bypasss patients and not sleevers? Do any sleevers have such a card? Another question for my NUT I guess.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

mollz007
on 8/26/14 10:27 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I just got a sticker to put on the back of my license saying that I had the surgery and that if I am tubed that I should not recieve more than ___ amount of fluid at a time (I think it is 32 cc's).

check out my blog!

Valerie G.
on 8/26/14 10:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That means that your NUT does not differentiate one wls procedure from another.  That statement is only true for RNY patients.

You can now know that your nutritionist doesn't know (and doesn't care) the difference between a RNY and a VSG and LapBand, and heaven help any DS patients coming their way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Miss150
on 8/26/14 10:59 am

I'm a "sleever" and was given a sticker to put on the back of my driver's license that basically says "in an emergency, do not shove a long tube down this girl's pipe into he stomach, 'cause she doesn't have a regular sized one anymore"...  makes sense to me.  

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

jessica1371
on 8/26/14 12:13 pm, edited 8/26/14 12:22 pm - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

I got this info on the internet on the topic, some say that EMTs should be placing NG tubes:

"Intubation and NG tubes are two different things.  Intubation tube only goes to your lungs.  NG tubes are for decompression of the stomach, tube feedings, or gastric suctioning.  In the majority of cases, the patient is awake and alert when an NG tube is dropped as an active swallowing reflex is needed to get the tube down and you would be able to inform the ER doc that you have a VSG"

My surgeon office did give me a card to carry and keep with my ID. One side it says:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/photos/album/180528/875336

It is a medical response card stating that (my name) and I had gastrointestinal surgery and it is important to call my surgeon BEFORE any gastrointestinal exam is preformed and medic administered, and it has their contact information.

The other side is this paragraph:  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/photos/album/180528/875474

"Dear Restaurateur:

The person named on this card has had a surgical procedure that restricts food volume to approximately one tenth of normal adult consumption. We would appreciate it if this person's meal could be portioned and purchased at a reduced, senior or child price. We thank you for your cooperation" 

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

Kelly Jean
on 8/26/14 12:15 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow I'm glad I came across your post because I'm never heard of it before either nor did I get a sticker for my license ... is that something all sleeves should have??? . I'd assume so.... guess I'll have to ask my surgeon about it next visit!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

MacMadame
on 8/26/14 3:09 pm - Northern, CA
On August 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM Pacific Time, kellyjean_46 wrote:

Wow I'm glad I came across your post because I'm never heard of it before either nor did I get a sticker for my license ... is that something all sleeves should have??? . I'd assume so.... guess I'll have to ask my surgeon about it next visit!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

No, it's not something we should have. There is no reason we can't have an NG tube. Our stomach is just as long as it was before surgery. It's just not as wide. This is not true for a gastric bypass patient whose stomach is more like an egg now. Plus the tubes are soft and giving. And not generally placed in the field. Or when unconscious so if its as poking at something, you'd just say "ouch" and they'd reposition.

Now, if you want to carry something that says you've had surgery early out when everything is still healing, that might be a good idea because early out it's harder to stay hydrated and really early out they need to be careful of your staple line. But one reason I had VSG is because I wanted a normal functioning stomach and to not be medicalized by my surgery. So now at almost 6 years out I don't wear a medical alert bracelet or have anything on my license (which we never looked at when I was doing volunteer work on an ambulance, btw). I don't need it as there is really nothing going in there that would impact emergency treatment. I do have "partial gastrectomy" and the date on my Road ID in case they find me unconscious on the road when I'm out running or biking. Also NKDA. (No known drug allergies.)

But as for all that other stuff, in the training I've had, it's been emphasized that you stabilize the patient and get them to the hospital and a doctor. You don't fool around and you don't necessarily "honor their wishes" for things like "No NSAIDS" or "No blind NG Tubes" if that's what you have to do to save their life. (Not that you generally place NG tubes in the field as has been mentioned.) But if I have to break your ribs to give you CPR, I will. That's what they trained us to do because it's "life over limb".

And if they have to give you an aspirin to keep you from having an heart attack, they will do that too. Even if you've had gastric bypass and your med alert bracelet says "No NSAIDs". Assuming they can even find it. So many people go for those ones that look like jewelry and sometimes the medical people don't even realize they are there!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kelly Jean
on 8/26/14 9:16 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Ok thank you very much for taking the time to clear that up!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Jen H.
on 8/26/14 12:26 pm - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

Valerie,  I received a binder from my NUT that contains information, vitamin info, eating plans for all surgery options that my surgical group does.  The OP might have received the same type of binder and it doesn't mean the NUT doesn't know or care.

jessica1371
on 8/26/14 12:36 pm - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

My thoughts exactly, why jump all over the NUT.... WLS are bunched together so unfortunately it's easier....so have the same info in all binders.

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views