Hiatal Hernia repair discomfort?

meganlindoo
on 8/31/14 8:24 am
VSG on 08/29/14

Two days out of my VSG, home and resting.  So far so good except for the vomit fit after I tried to take my liquid zoloft...  :(  Think I might just skip that for a week or two...  Throwing up felt like a full-body workout and I hope to not do that again.  So, I did end up having my hiatal hernia repaired (didn't know I had one...!) during surgery and I'm wondering if that is what's causing me the most discomfort right now.  It's hard to take a deep breath and I'm almost feeling like I'm having heartburn along with almost pulled muscles in my chest area (I'm thinking that might be an after effect of the vomit).  Anyone else experience this?  My incisions are not bothering me at all, but I'm still pretty consistently uncomfortable.  My tummy/intestines are also rumbling like CRAZY!  Is this normal??  If so, I somehow missed the memo!

Amy M.
on 8/31/14 9:49 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

The rumbling is probably just gas. I had a lot of gas pain and rumbling my first week. I took gas-x and that seemed to help. 

I also had a Hernia repair so I understand what you're going through. Just continue to take deep breaths. At the stage you're at I was diligent on my pain meds. I know the liquid stuff is gross but it made me feel so much better. 

As for the vomiting make sure to stay hydrated. I drank 1oz every 10 minutes when I was early out and used a timer to make sure I didn't forget. Congrats on your sleeve and good luck!   It gets better! 

Sleevarilla
on 8/31/14 9:49 am

Hello! I was sleeved on 8/20 w/hernia repair, and the only pain I had was right at the base of my sternum where my hiatal hernia was repaired. I would take a sip and then wait and see if I was going to cry because it hurt so much passing this spot or cry in relief because it didn't hurt. If you're having your pain at the top, middle of your belly like I did, then it does get better after a few days ... but wow! It hurt and hurt bad.

Also, tiny tummies talk a lot ... rumble, grumble, squeak. It's interesting to listen, lol.

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

Catherine N.
on 8/31/14 10:30 am - Pampa, TX

Totally normal.   My husband was sleeved 8/11 and I was sleeved 8/18 and we both had hiatal hernia repairs.  I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow and I'm over the worst of the discomfort from that.  We both had to sip tiny sips and take minutes between them.  I would say by the end of week 1 I was over the worst of it.  Just take deep breaths, sit up straight, and raise your arms over your head.  That's what we found works when you have that pain.  It gets better!!  :)

Catherine 

Sleeved 8/18/14   Proverbs 3:5-6 y'all :)

purplepassion70
on 8/31/14 11:59 am - Brenham, TX

I understand your discomfort. I had my VSG on Tuesday and had found out afterwards from nurse I had hernia repair. Taking a deep breath hurts me also. 

56sunShine14
on 8/31/14 12:25 pm

have you been given the plastic thing from Respiratory Therapy?  I forget what it is called but it is a device you inhale on and the ball goes up to 2000 if you are doing well.  Anything look like that on your bedside table?  If not, you may need one to help with that breathing.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Calaska
on 8/31/14 1:36 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I'm 13 days out and don't know yet if I really had a hiatal hernia or not.  Check with your doc, he may suggest a different PPI for you. And I wouldn't quit your Zoloft cold turkey. That's no fun, and not a good idea.  I also had pain in breathing deep. The more I used the breathing thing with the floating ball from the hospital, the less it hurt. It doesn't hurt at all now. Keep breathing deeply, but don't hyperventilate!  Haha, I did that once and had to sit down. Congratulations with your new sleeve!

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

happyteacher
on 9/1/14 12:43 am

My hernia repair caused me more discomfort than the stomach surgery. I had mine done in the Winter, and went for a walk a few days post op in the cold- holy hell the hernia repair area didn't like that! Same with the elliptical. I was cleared at day 10 for the elliptical, but the hernia repair area though differently. It will be a slower heal relatively, but you will bounce back to completely normal so hang in there. I was swimming in acid prior to surgery- completly gone with that hernia repair. The surgery was worth that alone!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views