Hair loss

elizjayjay
on 9/3/14 1:59 pm
VSG on 05/27/14

3 months out and started with the hair loss. Find that this in normal for this time, but any suggestion's on increasing vitamins or anything else to help? What am I lacking? Will it get better?  

Dreamingofbeaches
on 9/3/14 2:22 pm
with

I'm not there yet, but I hear getting in your protein is key. Otherwise, just ride it out.  I'm not too worried since I have enough hair for about 4 people. Hopefully I will still feel that way in another month or two!  

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

Blithe1212
on 9/3/14 5:44 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

The doc will tell you biotine or more protien but that doesn't help. You have to ride it out. The first month after vsg you were basically in starvation mode and you 'starved' that well nourished hair so now during the shedding phase more than usual is coming out.  It will regrow. Mine was coming out in clumps at four months, now it has slowed a bit. I started with extremely thick hair so I am lucky, others are not. But it's a temporary sacrifice for a healthy you. You can take biotine if you like, it helps the new hair grow in stronger.  I chose not to because I don't need another pill to take.

MsPayne731
on 9/3/14 10:45 pm - Dexter, MI
VSG on 11/25/14

I have not even gotten a surgery date yet, but I am eagerly looking forward to getting a surgery date some time in November or December of this year so I can start a new year and a new life for 2015. I found biotin in liquid form at a nutrition store in my local area. I have thin hair and the idea of me loosing hair is frightening to me! NOT frightening enough to stop me from getting sleeved!  But the fear is there so I have started taking biotin, a multi-vitamin complete with iron, and vitamin C with the hopes that I have minimal hair loss.

37 yo / 5'6 / HW: 325 / CW:215 / GW: 165 /  Surgery 11/25/14 

elizjayjay
on 9/4/14 10:57 pm
VSG on 05/27/14

Thanks, do you take chewable or pill for vitamins?

G5x5
on 9/4/14 12:55 am - VA

It didn't happen to me, but from I've read around the sites, you can really only work to prevent it from being worse than it'll be anyway.  For example, getting your protein won't fix it, but not getting it will exaggerate it or make it worse.

Most of the so called solutions really just amount to "ole wive's tales" or "bro' science" and the best thing is to let it run its course.  Eventually, it turns around and regrowth returns.  That seems to take place 6-9 months following the initial loss (which is strictly my observation of what people have been saying happened to them). 

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/4/14 5:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The condition is called Telogen effluvium.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it.  It doesn't happen to everyone, and no amount of protein or biotin will stop the shedding.

Mine hit between months 3-4.  I could not believe the quantity of hair that would end up on the drain in my shower.  I'm approaching the 9 month mark and I have significant regrowth that's about 2-3" in length.  I started taking biotin a couple of months ago to strengthen the new hair growth.  

As someone said, if it happens, it happens.  Nothing you can do to prevent it.  All the miracle potions in the world do not trump science.  But you can keep it from getting worse by taking all of your protein, water and supplements as prescribed.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ambrosia79
on 9/4/14 8:21 pm - PA

My hair loss started just after 3 months out.  I am just past 7 months out now and it's still shedding a little, but nowhere near what it did around 5-6 months (that's when it was worst for me). My doc suggested Biotin and Zinc, but I didn't bother.  I have crazy thick hair and I estimate I have lost 1/4 of it or more.  No one can tell that I have lost anything because of the thickness.  If your hair gets noticeably thin, I read somewhere that getting a shorter, layered cut will make it appear fuller. 

KarolPatras
on 9/4/14 8:47 pm

I am 3 and 1/2 months out and I began losing my hair at about 2 and 1/2 months out.  My hair was long and thick.  I had to get it cut real short because now I can get a baby comb thru it, it is so thin.  I have been taking biotin, 10,000 mcgs since day one of surgery and since my hair began to fall out I've been washing it with the biotin shampoo and conditioner.  My doc said no matter what you try it is still going to fall out.  Some people only have a little bit of loss and some people have a lot of loss.  Well it hit me bad, but I am thinking positive, because he said it will grow back and grow back healthier. 

Valerie G.
on 9/5/14 7:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're not lacking anything to cause it.  It's simply your body's reaction to the trauma of surgery and has rebooted the hair growth cycle.  The hair coming out is being replaced by new hair.  Any vitamins will benefit the new hair (not the old hair coming out).  Now is the time for a new haircut with some layers to blend in the new growth as it emerges.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views