I am doing so good on the pre-op diet, wondering if I need the sleeve?

Sammy D.
on 9/10/14 4:38 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I echo what many have said. Be sure whatever decision you make is right for you. Don't let others make the decision for you. I have found myself with the ability to easily drop 20-40lbs, only to stall and never continue losing weight. Then I would get discouraged and ultimately fall off the wagon and gain more. Before I got hurt in March, I know I went from 470 to 450, but due to being hurt the weight bounced way back and put me (to my best estimate) near 500lbs! I don't know about you but I am tired of the roller coaster ride and bouncing back higher and higher. I am deathly afraid that I will not live another 10 years if I continue on this path. I don't want to see 600 or 700. I want to nip this in the bud while I am still in my 30's. I want to see 40, 50, 60 and beyond. Even if I do as good as Nikki, I could not bear the thought of gaining it all back. The sleeve, along with a change of mindset are going to be my tools to ensure that does not happen again.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

MsBatt
on 9/10/14 7:29 am

Have you considered the DS, Given how much you need to lose, the DS might be a better long-term solution for you. The DS has the best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those with a BMI greater than 50.

poet_kelly
on 9/10/14 4:43 am - OH

Would you be able to stick to this diet forever?  Most people wouldn't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cappy11448
on 9/10/14 4:57 am

I had the same thoughts.  But I knew that I had tried so many times, only to gain back more than I lost.  Then one day, I was feeling stressed and I remembered why I failed. I went ahead with the sleeve, and it really changed my body and my hunger.  The surgery really works.  If you've tried and failed a lot, you probably need something different.  Obesity is a disease and WLS is the best treatment they know of. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

AppleSpice251
on 9/10/14 6:28 am

WLS is a great tool!

Doing any project without the appropriate tool is harder than doing any project with the appropriate tool.  Everyone here gave you great answers. 

So, I will agree with them and then I will say this;  Maybe this is your fiancés way of saying that he loves you and is afraid.  He may need reassurance from you. 

Let me tell you a piece of my story:  In the beginning my husband was seemingly 'ok' but the closer I got to my 'date' he became 'nervous'.  He told me that his friends said that people who get weight loss surgery lose weight and then find all kinds of flaws with their mate and eventually leave their mate.

I told him that I take all responsibility for the outcome of my decision to have this surgery.  I reminded him that our union is based on a strong foundation; love, teamwork, friendship, loyalty and an eye to the future.  

I actually said, "I was cute and little when you met me.  Now, I am cute and fat.  Afterwards, I will be cute, healthier and not so fat.  Everything will be just fine.  Now, kiss me and forget about the opinions of others!!!   

Here is to wishing you the very best.  I am confident that you and your fiancé will be just fine. 

(PS:  Living with VSG five years now and LOVING IT!!!)

Kelly Jean
on 9/10/14 6:38 am, edited 9/10/14 7:33 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Ultimately only you can decided ... I did well on my prep also ... but I don't know about you, it was hell ... how long do you really think you can keep that up for without your sleeve... I know I couldn't have... if you cancel and have to start all over how will you feel. Best of luck to you and your choice!!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

TexasTerritory
on 9/10/14 7:07 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Surgery was the best decision for me.

MsBatt
on 9/10/14 7:33 am

Traditional dieting and exercise does have a few things in common with WLS---both work pretty well for most people, as long as we can stick to the diet. Trouble is, most of us also have a damned hard time sticking to the diet for the rest of our lives.

Most forms of WLS simply make it easier to stick to the diet. Having a tiny stomach that gets full and satisfied on a MUCH smaller amount of food makes it so much easier eat less. It does not always make it easier to choose the best foods, or to resist eating the bad foods. It's still work, it's just easier work.

zoomom07
on 9/10/14 8:52 am

My husband said the same thing to me, but jokingly! He's been with me for 25 years and knows better by now. Hey, I can stick to anything for two weeks! I've done it more times than I can count. Have you ever hears the Albert Einstein quote, " Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"? This is why I went with the surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views