I am doing so good on the pre-op diet, wondering if I need the sleeve?

bertgamble2001
on 9/10/14 2:59 am - Willits, CA

I am doing really well on the pre-op diet.  My fiancé thinks I should postpone the surgery.  I have done this in the past and always gained more back.  Why would this be any different?  I see my weight loss as another link in the chain of failure if I don't take the step of WLS.

Any thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/14 3:06 am - Canada

Been there, done that...got the surgery!

If you could do this on your own your past million attempts would have been successful.  I had the same thoughts but remembered that I have lost and gained more weight then almost everyone I know.  

Sticking to a pre-op diet does not equate life-long healthy weight.  But then surgery doesn't either. It just makes it a little easier.  

The real questions are...

If you stop the process now how long will it take to get back on track (I'm assuming you are going through US health system) and how much time will you have wasted?

How much more will you weigh?

How will your health suffer?

What will you be missing out on for another day, month, year while you wait?

I postponed surgery for 15 years and missed out on a lot of life.  Really think before you throw away what you have worked so hard for.  Your pre-op diet success means you are committed to this process, not cured of your obesity.

Blessings, M

wyo_sarah
on 9/10/14 3:07 am

It sounds like YOU aren't wondering if you need the sleeve, but your fiancé is.  Your post sounds like you have already made up your mind.

breathemusic
on 9/10/14 3:08 am

It's a personal decision and I can't really tell you what you should do... but I know that I was in the same boat.  Sure, I lost some weight during the pre-op diet, but I was able to lose 25-30 pounds from diet and exercise in the past too.  That's a far cry from the 120+ pounds that I really needed to lose total, so I think it's worth it to keep moving forward with the surgery.  But that's just my opionion.  You have to do what's right for you.

Gwen M.
on 9/10/14 3:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think you're right and this won't be any different.  Don't let anyone else talk you out of making the best choices for your body and your health.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SATXVSG
on 9/10/14 4:00 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

As the others and you said, if you could have done this on your own, you would have.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Nikke2003
on 9/10/14 4:07 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I had to do a six month supervised diet. I lost 107 lbs during that time. I had the same questions rolling around in my head - and I was asked the same thing by a few family members. So, I was very honest with myself.... I asked myself, "Can I lost the remaining 150ish pounds I have to lose and keep it off for the long term." I decided that if my answer wasn't 100000% yes to that question, then I was going through with it.

Here I am... 16 months out, loving life, and still feeling as though it was the best decision I've ever made. I think it's important for you to do some critical reflection and ask yourself what would be so different from this attempt to lose the weight and keep it off from all of the other attempts. If there is no difference, I would seriously consider continuing the process to have surgery. Just my two cents :)

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Sleevarilla
on 9/10/14 4:11 am

Oh my, I wouldn't back out just because I would never want to have to do the pre-op diet again! Have you researched the statistics on the chances of success for morbidly obese people losing weight on their own? Especially compared to the chances of success for morbidly obese people who elect to have WLS? For my BMI, my chances of long-term success on my own were (depending on the study) about 2%. With this surgery, I'm given much, much, much better odds. Why not give myself another weapon in my war against obesity?

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

Justme7
on 9/10/14 4:16 am, edited 9/10/14 4:17 am - ID

Do the surgery. I too did great at diets when my back was against the wall facing surgery. I told myself this time will be different I have to succeed or I will have to have surgery. I then fell flat on my face when faced with a BBQ, holiday, or a long weekend, then totally fell off the wagon and gained more weight. If you can do it so well on your own why didn't you do it a year ago or two years ago and keep the weight off? This go around will be the same for you. Do the surgery and you will have a great tool to help you get to where you desire. 

Justme7

bertgamble2001
on 9/10/14 4:30 am - Willits, CA

Thank you all for re-affirming what I thought.  I am going to press ahead because I know that I will gain it all back if I don't.

Bert

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 98 views