5 hours in the ER...Heart palpitations.

purplequeeny
on 9/24/14 12:22 am - Mc Calla, AL
VSG on 06/12/14

I have been having heart palpitations for about a week and yesterday they started getting so strong that I felt like I could see my chest move when my heart beat.  I called my dr, they scheduled to see me today.  I call back an hour later (yes I was freaking out a little) and told her I was concerned.  She told me to go to the ER and be evaluated.  The ER did an EKG, chest xray, urinalysis, and tons of blood work.  He came back and said everything looked wonderful.  My heart was great, the labs were excellent and so on.  So he started asking me lots of questions.  His conclusion was "I'm thinking its your body adjusting to you coming off of 3 blood pressure medicine in a month".  3 weeks ago my dr pulled me off of the last 2.  So that is where I stand this morning.  I have the appt today with my dr.  Going to see what she says.  I have had one episode this morning with the pounding.  I didnt panic and I have no other symptoms.  My blood pressure was great yesterday and they checked it 2 different times.  Wondering if any of you have had this? My surgery was June 12, 2014 and as of this morning, since surgery I have lost 69 pounds and pre surgery dieting I have lost a total of 110 pounds.

HW 350 SW 309 CW 150 Surgery 06/12/14 I admit I'm a scale addict.  My life is now amazing and God is guiding me thru every step of the way.

Jules78
on 9/24/14 12:30 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Hi, so sorry you've had to go through such a scary experience!  I had the exact same thing about a month ago.  I would be having palpitations every day all day long to the point of being short of breath and unable to speak when they hit.  I did some research online and found some info about low potassium, low electrolytes and heart palpitations, you can try to google it.  Since before surgery the only beverage I really drink is water.  Coffee every now and then, but no soda, juice tea or anything excep****er and very little fruit.  

So the next morning at work I just said what the heck and bought a bottle of orange juice.  I kid you not, I have not had one single palpitation since the day I drank that orange juice and that's been about a month now.  I'm not saying the potassium did it or that it will work for you.  I'm just telling you what happened to me.  I don't know if you drink juice or gatoraid often or eat bananas or anything but I would say it's worth a try.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Luvmygs
on 9/24/14 12:32 am
VSG on 12/04/14

This happened to me when I was hospitalized for pneumonia last year. The hospital claimed that I wasn't getting better because of my bp meds and they took  me off cold turkey. I felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest. Freaked me out. Depending on your bp meds, the doctor should have gradually taken you off the meds. All blood pressure meds are different. Hope you're feeling better. It took me 2 weeks to feel normal again.

diane S.
on 9/24/14 4:33 am

don't know whats going on here medically and i would sure follow up more with doctor. but meanwhile you might try deep yoga breathing to calm yourself. hope this works out.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Hislady
on 9/24/14 4:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

Do keep on top of this because while it may be low potassium it could also be a-fib with your heart. I went thru the fast heart beat for months and it was only a fluke that it happened when I was in the ER for chest pain. WOW those folks flew into action and docs came flying in my room from all directions! I spent another week and a half at "club med" while they made sure some heart meds were working for it and now I'm fine as long as I get my meds. I would also wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I couldn't catch my breath so just be aware when it happens. They may have you wear a monitor for a week or so to check your heart. Hope it's something simple for you tho!

Most Active