Closed throat?

Willie H.
on 10/2/14 1:26 am
VSG on 08/26/14

First just let me say that I appreciate this forum and so far every concern or question I have had not only has been answered but almost each time to the very specific time frame, i.e. such as when my belly hurt-I was told wait about 3 weeks-sure enough almost 3 weeks to the day the pain subsided! Also regarding my stall-I was told usually around the 3 to 4 week period, sure enough a few days later I started losing weight again. So I've come to appreciate and trust those on this site very much.

Today I have a very different problem? For some reason it appears as if my throat or stomach has closed up? I cannot hardly get anything down, even water I can only do a little at a time - almost as it felt the first week? I first noticed it this morning in trying to drink a protein shake. yesterday was fine and the last thing I ate late at night was just baked fish,  probably a little more than I should have because I felt very full. The good thing is that I have my visit with my surgeon today and I'n sure he can enlighten me? Did anyone else have this problem around the 5th or 6th week? I guess I'll be slurping soups all day!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Sammy D.
on 10/2/14 1:39 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Could possibly be stricture or stenosis (twisting of sleeve), maybe a possibly an obstruction or blockage. I'd definitely mention this to your surgeon as I'm quite sure he will have the answer for you right off the top of his head.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

nursebonnie
on 10/2/14 1:41 am
VSG on 08/19/14

I had my six week check up yesterday. I have not had any problems with eating or drinking and can tolerate most meats, soft veggies and protein drinks and 80 ounces of water a day. I am eating 700-800 calories a day with a goal of 70-80 grams of protein and try to keep carbs under 40-50.

I am sorry you are having this symptom and glad you are seeing your surgeon today. Let us know how you are doing?

Luvmygs
on 10/2/14 1:46 am
VSG on 12/04/14

So glad you're seeing the surgeon today. Please let us know what he said. Good luck

susan88
on 10/2/14 2:08 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

It is a good thing you are seeing your surgeon today.  Keep us posted.  Good luck to you.

I had a similar situation a few days ago where the amount of food and drink I could handle was suddenly much more restricted (not to the extent that you describe but similar).   I realized that I had missed a few days of my PPI.  When I started taking it again the situation resolved.  

Willie H.
on 10/2/14 2:13 am
VSG on 08/26/14

PPI? Please explain, I'm not used to all the acronyms just yet? Is there a site or area where I can bone up on these bariatric terms?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Sammy D.
on 10/2/14 2:22 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Acid reducers like Omeprazole, Prevacid, Prilosec etc

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

susan88
on 10/2/14 2:37 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I actually didn't know what it stood for... just what they did.  I looked it up.  It stands for (and I don't know why) Proton Pump Inhibitor aka heartburn medication.  Priolsec, Nexium, Zantac, Omeperozale.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views