Strange

Willie H.
on 10/10/14 12:15 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Doing ok on my Sleeve - got sleeved 8/26/14. Went through my week plateau and stall at 3 week period, then begin losing weight again. Started going to gym and exercising last week in anticipation for my appointment with nutritionist yesterday. Noticed I was not losing weight but appeared to have gained it. Just thought my scale at home was incorrect. Went to NUT, got on scale and I had gained 3 lbs!! Was pretty shocked because I thought I was doing well with eating and to add exercise finally along with it I thought I would have lost weight!? Anyway, NUT says that is the way this process works. She looked at my food log and thought it was fine. Told me that we just gotta keep on working it and DO NOT weigh yourself everyday but once a week. The wight will eventually come off-the body is an amazing survivalist and adjusts to anything it thinks may be threatening it's existence.  Definitely feel better because of exercise and my clothes fit better. So I just gotta keep on keeping on and enjoy the journey. Anyone else experience weight gain in the first 8 weeks while following program correctly?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Sammy D.
on 10/10/14 12:36 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Muscle weighs more than fat, could possibly be muscle gain. I wouldn't sweat it if your NUT says you are on plan.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

MarcyisMyName
on 10/10/14 1:04 am

I did! And strangely enough, it was right at 8 weeks post-op, and I think I even posted about it the day I was going to be visiting my NUT. Rest assured, you will lose again. Stay the course, follow your plan, and focus on your progress not the daily fluctuations. You got this!

susan88
on 10/10/14 2:17 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I am at 9 weeks and gained this week.  Only a couple of pounds but it is driving me crazy.  My clothes aren't tighter so I think it is water and stress.  Had to sequester myself in my home office to finish my taxes and I don't think I got in my water and liquids like I usually do.  More water and a long walk today. 

I can't help but weigh myself everyday.  My husband commutes during the week.  I think I should have him put the scale in the car on Sunday and bring it home on Friday!

Tracy D.
on 10/10/14 1:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Regardless of what anyone says, you did NOT gain 3 pounds of muscle in one week.  It takes a LOT - and I do mean a LOT! - of hard weight-resistance work in the gym over a long period of time to see 3 lbs. of muscle.  And right now you haven't worked out long enough plus you're not getting enough protein or carbs to realize that kind of muscle mass increase.    

So why is the scale messing with you?  You are probably experiencing significan****er weight gain from the fact that you started exercise last week.  This is how the body ALWAYS responds to the start of new physical activity.  It hangs onto all the water for awhile - think of it as cushioning those muscles that are sore and haven't been used in a long time :-)   After a few weeks of routine your body will drop tha****er.  A half gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.   

If your clothes are fitting better then you really are losing weight...it's just not reflected on the scale because of the water you're retaining right now.  Be patient, stay on your path and you'll see a big drop in a few weeks.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views