I am considering the Sleeve over the Band... Just wanted to see some recent sleevers.....

Tlove6
on 11/2/14 6:48 am

I was in your same position. I obsessively researched the sleeve after my doctor mentioned it to me. 

It offers the same as the band but better. It is a permanent decision, unlike the band. 

I'm 4.5 months out and very happy. No complications, nothing makes me sick or gets "stuck". 

No matter what surgery you have, the head game is the same! 

Good luck!

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

monica37
on 11/2/14 7:08 am - Chicago, IL

Thank you all... This is so very helpful to me. I really appreciate it. One thing.. what about the hair loss? I am concerned about that because I had a head injury a few years ago where I was scalped.. ( sorry, I know its gruesome)... anyway, I lost hair with that and it is a particular concern to me since I don't have a ton of hair to begin with. I have fine hair ( not bald or anything like I was when I had the he'd injury).. but I was just curious. Have any of you had this and if so, what did you do to hide it while it was going on ?

Debbie R.
on 11/2/14 11:16 am - Las Cruces, NM

I had a lot of hair loss and what helped me was buying Infusion, it's a leave in conditioner, i put in a squirt bottle half/half water, i take my shower in the morning so i put it on my hair the night before and it helped strengthen the hair. Plus another thing, take prenatal vitamins and the combination of the two was great.  

Missourimedic
on 11/2/14 7:09 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Hello, and welcome, I am 1 day shy of 4 week post op and have to say it is the best thing I have ever done.

Gwen M.
on 11/2/14 8:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm about 8 months out.  At 3 months, I had a weird issue where my capacity dropped down to nothing and I was having issues eating.  I saw my surgeon and he thought that something happened which aggravated my stomach or caused it to clench or something.  I got an anti-spasmodic and had to do liquids for 3 days, purees for 3 days, and softs for 3 days before resuming my "normal" diet.  I took the anti-spasmodic before eating for 10 days.  

And I haven't had a single issue before or since.  My surgeon has decided this is just some weird fluke and has no idea why it happened to me.  

So.. that's my story!  Everything else is great :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brock_Bruce
on 11/2/14 9:40 am, edited 11/2/14 9:41 am
VSG on 12/16/13

I am post op VGS 10.5 months and I could not be happier with my choice. I considered lapband and so happy I did not. Currently down over 90 lbs from my all time high and I am at goal. Off of all meds, no longer loosing any hair. Started at 34% body fat and I am currently at 10.6%. I was worried about the hair, but it has started coming back now that I have stabilized. Best of luck!

Brock Bruce
Trust in the LORD with all your heart. Proverbs 3:5-6

Debbie R.
on 11/2/14 11:07 am - Las Cruces, NM

I had my lap band for 7 years, had it removed in March due to slippage. There are so many people who complain the band lasts about 6 or 7 years. I have heard and researched the sleeve and there are very little complaints. Lots of weight loss. It is your decision so i suggest doing your research.   

Catwoman77
on 11/2/14 11:38 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I am 5.5 months post sleeve and I would do it again in a heartbeat!  No surgery complications at all. I have a friend who has been very successful losing with the band, so that was my initial intention,  but when I went to my surgeon's information session, he said their practice was removing more bands than they were putting in due to various complications,  so they were no longer recommending them. Between that and all the complications stories I found online I decided to do the sleeve instead and have been very happy with my decision! 

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Trixiebell55
on 11/2/14 11:39 am

I had the sleeve done 11 weeks ago, I am down 60 pounds. I am very happy with my choice. It's not easy, but we'll worth it. Good luck to you.

monica37
on 11/4/14 4:21 am - Chicago, IL

Thanks everyone ! I wanted to let you know that I have decided to go with the sleeve.... A lot in part to what everyone on this board has said about the two surgeries.. so thank you all for that ! 

My Surgeons office is now just dealing with the insurance approval so I will keep everyone posted ! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views