WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE SLEEVE OVER BYPASS?

froggyx2
on 11/3/14 8:30 am

THANK YOU... LETS KEEP INTOUCH THROUGH OUT OUR PROCESS....

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/2/14 9:53 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

For me, I didn't want my intestines rerouted. While the other wls has the malabsorption & may lose weight quickly, the malabsorption of calories is only temporary with the rny, and the malabsorption of nutrients is for life with the ds & the rny. I didn't want to live with that, so I choose the sleeve & am very happy with my choice.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

froggyx2
on 11/3/14 5:27 pm

THANK YOU!

cjennyh
on 1/26/15 1:54 pm - Seven Valleys, PA

Can u explain what u mean by malabsorption of nutrients is temporary?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/26/15 6:25 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The malabsorption of calories is temporary, I've heard it lasts for maybe a couple of years, the malabsorption of nutrients is for life. It's the malabsorption of calories I'm guessing is why you lose weight quickly at first, but over time since it's only temporary it's probably why the vsg & rny stats are about even at the 2 year mark. I think the ds is the only one that pulls out ahead of the rny & vsg, but it is also a more complicated surgery.

The malabsorption of nutrients for both the rny & the ds is for life, but since the stats for the vsg & rny even out a bit at the 2 year mark, I choose the vsg & I didn't want to malabsorb nutrients for life. It is the tortoise of weight loss as compared to the hare, rny/ds.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rumpole6
on 11/3/14 12:43 am

As an "old" person, I read that as you age you become malabsortive anyway, leading to what my DW charmingly calls the "Old Man Skinnies". So I ruled out the bypass and the DS based on wanting my starting point for malabsortion to be normal. Plus, I heard that the ability to cure diabetes was similar between the sleeve and the RNY and the surgical risk was half of that for the sleeve clinched it.

Yes, my Diabetes is now under control with no medicines 3 weeks post sleeve.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

AngCan2
on 11/3/14 1:06 am
VSG on 10/17/14

For me it was all the items listed above, the sleeve is a less invasive surgery.  I also liked the idea that with the 80-85% of the stomach being removed the part that produces Ghrelin, the hormone that stimulates appetite.  I do know the surgeon mentioned during the intro class that people over a certain weight would be recommended the bypass instead of the sleeve.... honestly, I am not sure why I just remember it being said.  I had 155 lbs to loose and he was fine with my choice of sleeve.

froggyx2
on 11/4/14 4:14 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT..

GOOD LUCK!

Gail D.
on 11/3/14 1:07 am

My father-in-law had bypass, and I saw him spend months gagging and vomiting. I know that happens with sleeve, but didn't seem to as much. Now, three years out, he eats as much as he did before surgery and relies on the "low absorption" to keep his weight down. I felt the sleeve had more permanency to it.

And since I wasn't diabetic or pre-diabetic, and had the choice, I went with sleeve. Also seems less invasive.

froggyx2
on 11/4/14 4:16 am

THANK YOU

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views