Low Potassium

elizjayjay
on 11/12/14 10:26 am
VSG on 05/27/14

Pre-op I had very low Potassium and received IV for a few days. Now 5 months post blood work shows the same and I just started on oral script dose. Has anyone else had this and reasons why. I just was thinking I had low energy due to lack of intake. Please let me know what you had and why. Thanks,

Amy R.
on 11/13/14 2:18 am, edited 11/13/14 5:12 am

I have it/have had it.  Most of the time for me it happens when I have to take a diuretic.  Even though I supplement with potassium when I have to take it, many times I will get too low.  I've been literally at cadaver levels - that bought me a nice go 'round with the defibrillator.  Since then, I try to watch it like a hawk.

There have been times when I wasn't taking any diuretics and I ended up in ER.  The consensus has been that my malabsorption is just off the scale. (I am also consistently sodium deficient).

It also seems to happen with those who lose a lot of weight quickly without the proper nutrition and supplementation. 

Anywho, keep an eagle eye on that stuff.   It's workable, but you've absolutely GOT to be consistent.

Take Care,

amy

edited for missing word

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views