What should I have in the house for clear liquids when I come home from the hospital?

November18
on 11/12/14 10:10 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Hi, all! Getting nervous and trying to get prepared. I'm confused about what is considered clear liquids for week 1 out of the hospital. In some of my reading, I see where people drink Premier Protein shakes. I am having those now- chocolate- but I don't consider that a clear liquid. I see also people say skim milk. I don't consider that a clear liquid. What exactly do I need to have in the house? Thanks!

Bonnie

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/12/14 10:23 pm - MI

I was on full liquids when I came home so I could have skim milk & Premier protein.

I would consider jello & popscicles as clear liquids. They are a great way to get liquids in if you have trouble. I would have MIO and Crystal light drops to flavor your water. Have broth ready to go.

sechax0r
on 11/12/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

My allowed liquids were:

Clear Broth

Gatorade/Water mix. I do 50/50 but only 8 ounces a day, then I switch to water

Protein Shakes

SF Jello

SF Popsicles. 

MAchick
on 11/12/14 10:43 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I was on modified full liquids when I came on, so I could have a bit more variety. One of my saviors was broth/stock. I got sleeved in the winter, and I needed the broth to cut the sweetness of the protein drinks. I had beef, chicken, and miso. I also drank Crystal Light, Syntrax nectar protein drinks, made protein jello, and had sugar free popsicles.

Bufflehead
on 11/12/14 11:19 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I was only on clear liquids for 24 hours, but on my full liquids phase (which lasted 4 weeks) I drank a lot of stuff that was clear, including:

• Syntrax Nectar protein shakes (mix with water(
  • Isopure RTD protein, mixed 50/50 with G2 or Powerade Zero
  • Light fruit juice
  • G2 & Powerade Zero
  • Unjury chicken soup protein powder (mix with water)
  • Broth with unflavored protein powder mixed in -- my favorite was Trader Joe's Ginger Miso broth. Also strained broth from egg drop soup, chicken broth, beef broth etc. - be sure to keep under 140 degrees if you are going to mix in protein powder
  • HealthSmart brand soups from Nashua Nutrition - their tomato soup and chicken and beef bouillon flavors mix up clear, plus they are formulated so you can use ho****er and not worry about keeping it under 140 degrees (unlike the Unjury chicken soup or using unflavored protein powder with regular broth).

reset2014
on 11/12/14 11:56 pm

I was surprised to find decaf chamomile tea was very soothing post -op.  I had never been a tea drinker previously but this was a life saver the first few days.

mickeymantle
on 11/13/14 1:56 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was on clear liquids only in the hospital and full liquids when I came home

clear liquids are anything you cAN SEE THRU

tea , crystal ligh****er , black decaf , sf jello , ice pops , there are clear protein shakes but most are considered full liquids

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sara T.
on 11/13/14 2:50 am
with

Isopure drinks (bottled, comes in many flavors, some good some bad) 

Broth (the flavored ones are way too strong you'll never drink them) I used that packet noodle soup with the noodle's drained out of it for a while, gave me a warm cozy and satisfied feeling.

Powerade zero (vitamin water zero has 5 carbs)

Popsicle (I was allowed to have the regular kind for the first week postop, but don't over buy, you'll have a freezer full of things you'll need other people to eat.)

I didn't use any protein shakes or milk till full liquid phase. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJxUnLfTwkkWA20JTcE-Dog

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shrinking-Sara-VSG/737873526284962?ref=hl

Gwen M.
on 11/13/14 2:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Does your surgeon have an information packet for you with examples of what you can eat on each stage of your recovery diet?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 11/13/14 3:36 am

Clear liquids were water, crystal light, decaf tea, fat free low sodium chicken broth, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free Jell-O (let it melt in your mouth).  I wasn't on any protein shakes until weeks 2, 3, and 4.  No skim mil****il week 2 either.  Good luck!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views