Advice for someone who is getting the sleeve

Melanielw
on 1/7/15 10:13 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I am new to this website but I feel as though I have tons of questions to ask! My one big question is what advice would you give someone who is about to have the sleeve? I started my pre-op diet today, and my surgery is scheduled for the 21st. I know what to expect somewhat, but I would rather hear it from people who have experienced the surgery themselves. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/7/15 11:43 am - MI

The 21st is right around the corner! Wahoo! I was very lucky and Ive had an easy time! I would say follow and do what your doctors say! I followed and I still am following my doctors plan. Everyone on here stressed to me how important if was to sip and walk as soon as I could after surgery. It was awesome advice! I had surgery on a Friday and drove to church on Sunday! So walk and sip after surgery and you'll do well! Good luck! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Melanielw
on 1/7/15 11:58 am
VSG on 01/21/15

That is great advice! Thank you. One thing I am concerned with is how fast I will lose weight. A girl I know who is my age (I'm 26) got the sleeve done and was at her goal weight but month 7 or 8, but I know some older people who took longer to lose the weight. Does age effect your weight loss? 

dorasvsgjourney
on 1/7/15 1:24 pm
VSG on 11/26/14

Congratulations!

I think there are many contributing factors to how quickly the weight comes off.  There are several people on these forums that are in their 40's, 50's & 60's who have lost very quickly and quite a few people in their 20's and 30's who seem to take a little longer to reach goal.  You do not know exactly how quickly your weight is going to come off, but as long as you stick to the program your doctor gives you it will come off.  I figure in about a year I should be at or very near goal.  If it happens sooner great!  If it takes me a year and a half to reach goal, I'm ok with that too.

Good luck!  Can't wait to see you on the losers bench!

MAchick
on 1/7/15 11:09 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I got mine done last year at 28. I think it more depends on how much you have to lose and how diligently you stick to your new plan. I suggest making a plan and really trying to stick to it. Nothing wrong with having personal goals! 

jules29
on 1/7/15 1:22 pm

Everyone will loose at their own pace! More then saying age is a factor I'd say activity level and commitment to eat per your Dr's plan will determine the rate of weight loss!  Even once you reach your goal you have to remember that reaching the goal is NOT the goal but to keep the weight off for life and being healthy is the goal! Old habits die hard and slipping back to old ways is very easy. With the surgery you will loose weight but then you will become a "Normal" person that will always need to be aware and be careful of what your eating. Good luck. 

Take ear plugs and lip balm to the hospital. Ask for ice when you feel discomfort from the gases they use for surgery! Rest when you need to MOVE as much as you can when they allow you too! 

mmsmom
on 1/7/15 8:52 pm - Woburn, MA

My advice would be to make sure you have done your homework and researched this well.  It is life changing and there is no going back.  I am shocked by how many people on this  board are uninformed (not directed at you) and get this surgery quickly without really thinking it over.  Therapy and nutritional support is  vital.  That being said, expect to stall somewhere within weeks 2-4.  This is perfectly normal and you will start to lose again.  Don't get discouraged or think it won't work.  It will.  Also, my advice would be to give it your all.  There is a honeymoon phase where you can't eat much and aren't hungry - take advantage of it.  This surgery is nothing short of miraculous, but mindset is very important.  Good luck. I'm sure you will be pleased.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Melanielw
on 1/7/15 9:08 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I can tell the mind part of this surgery is going to be the hardest. Having to retrain yourself about the way you think about food. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I am ready to make the commitment. 

sechax0r
on 1/7/15 10:15 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I will add my two cents to this. I was another lucky one with no problems.

1. Follow your doctor's instructions to the letter including the diet progression. You will come to realize every surgeon has a different diet plan but follow the one you were given.

1a. CALL THE DOCTOR if you feel something is wrong, do not go to the internet for advice, call your surgeon immediately!

2. Walk as soon as they let you out of bed, and remind them to let you out of bed. Remember, you are in control at the hospital. This also helps with gas pains.

3. Sip Constantly.

4. Use your incentive spirometer. If they don't give you one, ask for one. This helps keep your lungs clear by forcing you to deep breathe. You should use it every hour for 10 inhales. The respiratory therapist at the hospital should instruct you on how to use it. Use it when you come home as well, for at least two weeks.

5. Get your "head right". You are going to make a HUGE mental change in the way you eat.

6. Warn your family you WILL be crabby and have breakdowns. They will need to be supportive and understanding during the pre-op/post-op time periods. You will have outbursts and cry.

7. Take your PPI (acid reducer), if your surgeon doesn't prescribe one ask for it, you WILL need it.

8. Sign up for myfitnesspal.com and log everything you put in your mouth.

9. Get a food scale ($12 on Amazon), and a good set of measuring cups and spoons. Weigh and measure everything. 

10. Exercise daily, start with walking at least twice a day, get into a gym when you are cleared for weight bearing exercise. If you can afford it get a trainer. 

I think that's all. Hope it helps!

NanfromSan
on 1/7/15 11:30 pm, edited 1/7/15 11:31 pm
VSG on 12/09/14

Read, read, read these posts on the vsg forum.  Find a protein shake you like before the surgery.  I'm four weeks out and still rely on them for most of my nutrition.  Do not over exert yourself after surgery no matter how good you feel.  I picked up my son and ended up pulling an internal stitch, causing me to be out of work an additional week.  Don't stress about stalls, hair loss, etc.  Everyone has it, it's temporary and things get better with time.  Read the posts and you will see the same topics over and over and know what to expect.  Best of luck!!!

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views