Surgery in 2007.... does that make me an old timer..?

mattman
on 1/8/15 10:17 am - Chifley, Australia

Hi all,

It’s been a long time since I’ve dropped in and stumbled across the site while researching ways to get off anti-acid medication and felt guilty that I haven’t dropped in here after all the support and encouragement when I went on my journey.

Anyway I was sleaved in 2007 so guessing that I’m an old timer these days and thought I’d better drop in and say hi and see if anyone wanted to ask questions of a “old” VSGer.

My profile has a pretty comprehensive background and blog if anyone is interested.  In summary I went from 140kg (300 pounds) to 75kg (165 pounds) and now sitting around 90kg.  Ideally I’d like to drop 10kg but I’m just not fussed about it.

My biggest bug bear is that I’m still on anti-acid medication though I’m trying to wean myself off.  Cold turkey doesn’t work… after about 3 days it’s seriously painful.  So after lots of research I’m trying a herbal tea 3 times a day based on Meadowsweet, Apple Cider Vinegar and honey.  I'm really not into "herbal cures" but after two days and things seemed surprisingly good, will see how it goes over the weeks ahead.

My blood tests show my liver is not sorted, but regularly come up low on D and B12.  Easily addressed with a needle and tablets a couple of times a year.

Oh and I did end up having plastic surgery to remove the excess skin on my stomach simply because it was annoying during energetic sports like Karate etc.

My life is radically different, I have energy to burn and love paragliding and paramotoring, riding my bicycle and getting out and about.  I’m up before the wife and kids and generally run them into the ground for activities.. lol

Anyway, enough about me, if anyone has any questions for an old timer I’d be very happy to answer.  Fire away..!

Matt

Lost 100 pounds and in onederland in under 6 months....!   I love my VSG...!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/8/15 12:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Nice job. Your wife, I mean. Good work with the weight loss too. Long time success stories are always good to hear.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mattman
on 1/8/15 12:14 pm - Chifley, Australia

In the photo, nope that is my daughter  ;-)

Matt

Beatriz
on 1/8/15 1:27 pm

Thanks for sharing!! I love hearing long term success stories! Great job!!

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 4:41 pm, edited 1/13/15 3:17 pm

Hey old timer!  Good to see you, I am 4 years out an popped in last week just to say hi.

About GERD, I had it too.  Then at about 2 years out I took some powerful probiotics because a doctor thought it would help the severity of my allergies.  To my surprise it did, plus it fixed my GERD, which was totally unexpected.  I've since read that others have had this happen.  The powerful probiotics I used were VSL #3.  I can't remember how long I had taken them before I noticed GERD  symptoms had disappeared. It's worth a shot, I'm so glad this accidentally worked for me.

P.S.  You look great, congrats on staying near goal this far out.  

Ms Shell
on 1/13/15 7:16 am - Hawthorne, CA

Hey stranger!!  Thanks for checking in and much success on that acid blocker reduction =)

Ms Shell

mattman
on 1/13/15 6:12 pm - Chifley, Australia

Hey Ms Shell, it's wonderful to hear from you.  :-) 

So far the herbal approach is going ok, still got acid but no where near as bad as previous "cold turkey", so far I'm hanging in here with it.  

How are you going?

Matt

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views