surgery scheduled.. thing to pass the time?

aenewcomb9
on 2/3/15 12:42 pm

My surgery is scheduled for March 3rd. I'm very excited and ready for this new phase of my life. My husband was sleeved in 2012, so I really pretty much know everything because I researched it so heavily before he had surgery. Obviously the only things I can't know ahead of time are the things that will be specific to MY recovery. For that I just have to wait and see.

Anyway, time is going by very slowly! What are some things yall did to help you feel like you were "preparing" for surgery the few weeks before? I was going to start trying protein shakes, but many people have commented that what tasted good preop doesn't taste so good post op. So I'll wait on that. 

Did yall go through and pull out your "skinny clothes" before surgery? (We all have those, right? The pants that fit once a long time ago that we couldn't part with) Did you make lists of meal plans, what to bring to hospital, ect? 

Just trying to keep my mind busy!

elliebean78
on 2/3/15 2:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Hiya! I just had my surgery scheduled today! While I'd like to think that I researched plenty, I'm trying to pass the time by looking up as much info as I can! I found this site, so I'm hoping that keeps my brain busy. I unfortunately can't find my skinny clothes anymore. Even though I gained over 100 lbs within a year and a half, I dont even know what happened to my smaller clothes! lol

aenewcomb9
on 2/3/15 9:15 pm

Yeah these forums are awesome. Back when Ryan had vsg I was so afraid. I was afraid of losing him, or him being hurt. His recovery was rough and unlike anyone else's I've heard of, but reading these posts still helped to calm my nerves preop. Now that it's my turn, I'm actually much less afraid than I was in 2012, but I still like to post and look around on here.

and aww man you'll just have to go buy new skinny clothes! Haha. I'm sure I'll buy some new things as well :)

Daelcare
on 2/3/15 9:11 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

The six weeks before my surgery I started eating like I was supposed to (not 2-3 ounces, but protein first) and started exercising.  By the time my surgery rolled around it only took 3 weeks to get back in the gym.  I feel like it helped a lot to get ready for the "new" life I was embarking on!  Best of luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/3/15 9:36 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I got married less than a month before mine. That took up a lot of my time.

Tracy D.
on 2/3/15 11:23 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I practiced eating really, really slow with an egg timer (one of those tiny hourglass things with sand in it).  And I practiced not drinking with meals or for an hour after eating.  THAT was probably the hardest thing for me at first.  

The only thing I really needed at the hospital was my chapstick and phone.  I brought my iPad and magazines and never cracked either one open.  I was too focused on walking, sipping,, getting in and out of bed and then resting.  It was a job!  

It's a little pointless to make lists of meal plans because you will be shocked and surprised at what you can eat, what you can't eat and what doesn't taste good anymore.  And the tiny amount you can eat will set you back too.  Have some staples on hand (the protein shakes I liked before I continued to like after) like broth, SF popsicles and whatever things your bariatric office says you can have.  But don't worry about throwing actual "meals" together right away because you won't feel up to it and you sure won't be eating much of it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 2/4/15 12:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I started keeping a blog.  It was a good place to gather research and thoughts.  

I found a great therapist.  I found a great massage therapist.  

Then my cat went blind, so I had to go to a lot of vet appointments all over the county.  I don't recommend that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views