If you can do all of that.....

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/9/15 9:59 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Drinking liquids is not something anyone can do for life, & eating small meals with a full sized stomach will leave you hungry & eventually you'll give in to all the hunger hormones & just binge eat, plus there's a whole metabolic thing going on too that makes it possible for obese people to lose weight & keep it off.

My choice is my choice, & this is what I choose to treat my obesity, which is classified as a disease., that's what I'd tell them if I choose to.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Mcconnl3
on 2/9/15 12:41 pm
VSG on 09/15/14
KayDeeCee
on 2/10/15 12:14 am
VSG on 01/26/15

Thanks to the OP for posting this topic. I have scolded myself for this at times too...I appreciate all of the replies. I am 2 weeks post-op and have not told anyone but my husband and daughter. I am guessing once the weight loss becomes obvious, I am going to have to tell people. I will remember some of these responses mentioned in this thread in case needed. :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

ANGELINA6501
on 2/10/15 1:40 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I haven't told many people outside of my family that I had surgery. There were many folks at the stores I frequent that would ask my husband where I was (while I was recovering) and he did tell one lady that I had VSG. I told him please don't do that, I want to explain things in my own way. (He didn't think it was a big deal, but he was sorry.) After that, he just said I had surgery.

I don't have any real criteria for telling one person over another person, it is more my comfort level with that person, however, when I do discuss it, I always say something like "I had bariatric surgery. Most people think it is the easy way out, but let me tell you, it isn't." This shuts down any of those 'easy way out' comments before they begin and since most people I encounter aren't sure what 'bariatric' means, it gives me an opportunity to tell them and explain all of the things that have to be done before you can even get the surgery. When I tell them my doctor told me I have 20 years left (and I am only 33!), they seem to 'get it' and understand a little better. Especially when I explain that I had to do weeks of liquids - they feel bad for me (I guess??) and try to commiserate a little bit. Most people are pretty cool about it, in my experience, and most know someone who has had some form of WLS. Explaining medical details can either intrigue people (who will then be more educated and understanding) or will turn them off completely. Either way, don't put too much stock into others opinions - do what is right for you and follow your path and plan. It will all turn out ok.

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views