Four year Surgiversary

Elena22
on 3/9/15 12:04 am

I said in a previous blog that I would later disclose whether I regretted VSG surgery or not.  Well I now have my answer.  For me, and this is just for me personally, the VSG has been a big mistake as opposed to RNY or DS.  My original choice was the DS, but my insurance would not pay for it, so I settled for my second choice which was the VSG. My insurance said that they would pay for RNY but I wasn't interested in that option for myself.  I feared dumping, and the pouch, and I didn't like the idea of a "blind stomach." However the VSG is a restrictive procedure only and my body NEEDS malabsorption.  I have been diligent about following the program of the VSG as recommended by my WLS clinic, however I haven't lost a pound since July 2012.  I have even resorted back to fad "dieting" to keep the weight off.  Right now I am in the process of trying to see if I can get revised to the DS.  I have a new insurance company and job.  Swing critters for me that all goes well. 

Thanks, for reading.

~ Elena.

butterfly3851
on 3/9/15 12:16 am - TX

Good luck to you as you continue on this journey.  I hope you can get the revision!

Maria27
on 3/9/15 12:57 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Thanks for sharing. I keep questing whether I should be getting VSG instead of RNY, but I know that RNY is the better option for me. Good luck.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 3:16 am

I am new to all of this..What do you mean by this?  However the VSG is a restrictive procedure only and my body NEEDS malabsorption. 

SkinnyBonz38
on 3/9/15 5:03 am
Elena22
on 3/9/15 8:07 am

"Restrictive procedure only" means that this procedure will restrict the amount of food you're able to intake at one time.  Which does produce weight loss.  However over time your restriction can lessen, I know mine has.  The RNY and the DS both restrict the amount you can intake one time, but also provide the addded benefit of not absorbing all of the calories that you eat, thus increasing your potential for weight loss.  It really does depend on the individual.  Some people are able to stay very strict to the VSG diet for life and loss all of their excess body weight, and others who might need extra malabsorption, may choose that option.  To be sucessful with VSG, I feel like you have to be a much more contientious dietier than you would have to be with RNY or DS.  While the eating plans are similar, i.e. Track your protein, watch your carbs, etc, VSG is less forgiving if you get off track than RNY or DS seems to be. For me, in my opinion.  Hope this helps in your decision as you're new to all of this.

~ Elena.

Laura in Texas
on 3/9/15 3:49 am

You posted this 2 years ago on your blog. Have you pursued the DS yet?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Elena22
on 3/9/15 7:11 am

I've been denied, so I'm still planning to re submit.

~ Elena.

frisco
on 3/9/15 4:50 am

Could you please post the plan from your WLS clinic that you have been following diligently???

It is very possible that the plan is failing you ?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

SkinnyBonz38
on 3/9/15 5:04 am
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views