What would you do?

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 2:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you've had issues with reflux before, definitely get back to taking a PPI.  Acid mimics hunger and getting your acid under control will help alleviate the hunger you're feeling.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:50 am

I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired when I had the revision.  My reflux was from food sitting in the band and not going through because of the dilation. I took a PPI religiously for the first months following surgery and it didn't make any difference.

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 3:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might need a stronger PPI.  Which one were you taking?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

ladygodiva1228
on 3/11/15 2:48 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

I was stuck all the time and in  a lot of pain, sometimes I couldn't even lay down at night because of the reflux.  I was afraid of what the band would do long term as I had read stories of erosion or liver sticking to it over time.  Yep self pay band and self pay sleeve too.  I don't measure.  Thank you for your response. 

Why did you not get an unfill if you were stuck all the time and in pain? 

The sleeve and bypass are very different from the band and I hate to say it, but you really have to measure out what you eat. 

You need to think about what happens if you do go again and there are complications this time along with more weight gain.  Are you going to continue to have surgery after surgery? 

Sometimes people have to really look at what they are doing.  Reading some of the things you eat they are pretty high in carbs.  Those things will slow and cause regain. 

I would suggest measuring and writing everything down for one month and see if there is any change.  Oh and get back on a PPI.  You say your tool is big, but it is still not the size of your original stomach. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 3:06 am

I know many of you think I wanted your opinions and then get defensive when you give them.  I just never imagined so many people would truly not understand this battle especially on a weight loss surgery forum!  I keep restating my success in hopes that it would prove that I have never relied completely on any tool and that I have obviously worked hard over the years to be where I am.  I just don't know why it's so hard to believe that when the sleeve stretches back out it truly feels like you never even had the surgery.  I do want the surgery, I know I need the help and even with watching what I eat and working out, the weight is creeping back on and I'm scared to death.  I don't know if its scientifically proven but I truly feel like after so many years with the band and living on about 800 calories a day I really screwed something up with my body/metabolism.  So now because my sleeve is so large, when I try to eat less calories and work out 3x a week, I'm STARVING!  Thank you to those who gave good advice and didn't just assume I'm not doing what I know I should.

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 3:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Just because people aren't giving you the answers you want to hear doesn't mean that they don't understand.  

If you're not weighing/measuring/tracking what you're eating, you don't know that you're only eating 800 calories a day.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 3:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

I know many of you think I wanted your opinions and then get defensive when you give them.  I just never imagined so many people would truly not understand this battle especially on a weight loss surgery forum!  I keep restating my success in hopes that it would prove that I have never relied completely on any tool and that I have obviously worked hard over the years to be where I am.  I just don't know why it's so hard to believe that when the sleeve stretches back out it truly feels like you never even had the surgery.  I do want the surgery, I know I need the help and even with watching what I eat and working out, the weight is creeping back on and I'm scared to death.  I don't know if its scientifically proven but I truly feel like after so many years with the band and living on about 800 calories a day I really screwed something up with my body/metabolism.  So now because my sleeve is so large, when I try to eat less calories and work out 3x a week, I'm STARVING!  Thank you to those who gave good advice and didn't just assume I'm not doing what I know I should.

If you want the surgery, your doctors have given the OK, then do it. It's your body and your choice, and it sounds like you've made the choice already.

Good luck making your third surgery work.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

aharris30
on 3/11/15 3:44 am
VSG on 05/13/14

We hear you loud and clear but you fail to see how opting  for surgery after surgery will not fix everything. You are putting yourself at higher rates for post op complications. But Your body, your decision. Hopefully 3rd time will be a charm ? Probably not because you will not be satisfied if you don't  get your ideal results. Seems like you have some form of body dysmorphic pertaining to your sleeve/pouch. 

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 3:59 am

I know it will not fix everything, I know the risk which is what I came here to discuss.  I achieved more than ideal results with my band.  I made a decision to have the band removed and I had hoped to continue with that success however, because of 1) previous band patient 2) dilated esophagus 3) large bougie size 4) the surgeon going liberal with the sleeve because I weighed 169 lbs the day of surgery 5) abnormal stretching over the first year I have not been able to be successful with the sleeve and continuing with the sleeve I have jepordizes the success I have originally had.  I don't think this is dysmorphic, I truly feel as if I have never every had the sleeve surgery. 

aharris30
on 3/11/15 4:07 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Your body, your decision, your pocket book. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 159 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 454 views