What would you do?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/11/15 10:45 am, edited 3/11/15 10:45 am - OH

Seriously... How many times do people have to point out that, even if we accept that your sleeve is larger than it should be, that it is still NOTHING like having your large, natural stomach, and that you are not "completely on your own again"?!? At least half a dozen people have pointed this out.

I am almost 8 years post-RNY.  Like many of us, I physically can eat a whole lot more than I need to eat... And therefore I choose not to keep eating once I have eaten enough.  You do not HAVE to eat until you feel stuffed in order to no longer feel hungry.  Even with surgery, you have to exercise some control over what, and how much, you put into your mouth.

Lora

edited for typos

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 2:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Oatmeal is very high carb and not the best option during weight loss for many of us.  Better to wait for maintenance to reintroduce it to your diet.  It's the same thing with potatoes and fruit.  Nuts can be super caloric and snacking on them can be unwise during weight loss.  Unless you measure out portions and are strict at keeping to them.  Ditto for peanut butter. 

Chili also isn't very dense and might be causing your hunger/lack of satiety.  

Are you weighing/measuring your portions?  It sounds like you're just eyeballing them by using a small plate.  Work on weighing/measuring and then log everything you eat into something like MyFitnessPal so you can see exactly what you're consuming and what you need to modify.  From what you've listed, it looks like you're getting too many carbs, not enough protein, and too many calories.  But you won't know for sure unless you're diligent with tracking.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:47 am

I only eat oatmeal on the weekends, I don't have time to make it during the week.  My chili is super thick with 3 cans of beans and 2lbs of lean meat, packed with protein and fiber.  But no, I don't measure, I also don't get full on small portions, I could easily eat 1 1/2 cups of my chili if I allowed myself to do so. 

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 3:35 am, edited 3/11/15 3:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Chili, no matter how thick, is still not as dense as something like a chicken breast or steak.  

And "only on the weekends" still counts.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nikke2003
on 3/11/15 7:25 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Ummmm, I could also eat 1 1/2 cups of chili. Is this what you are considering "a lot of food" which means your sleeve isn't working?

You also say, "If I allowed myself to do so." - don't allow yourself to do so. You shouldn't completely rely on your sleeve to make you stop eating. Weighing and measuring portions makes sure that you eat an appropriate amount so that you never even have to feel restriction. The concept of "undereating your sleeve" is talked about a lot on this board. I would suggest searching those posts... it can be very helpful.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/11/15 2:31 am

That sounds fairly carb heavy. For a lot of us, that will slow or stall out loss. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/11/15 2:17 am

No, I would not get a third surgery. Capacity increases over time, even for those of us with a bypass instead of a sleeve. I look at it like this: just because I can eat something doesn't mean I should. I also still measure and track my food. Why? Portion creep.

I eat dense protein first since I can eat less of it than I can of other foods. I takeresponsibility for what I eat. It isn't solely the responsibility of my bypass. The finest hammer in the world won't drive a nail if I don't swing it straight.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mary Gee
on 3/11/15 2:18 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Maybe you've done this.....but these are my thoughts.......Forget about everything so far. You have a "tool" ...... Before going for another surgery.....Starting g now, for two months: follow your plan to the letter. Weigh and measure everything. Get your protein in, keep carbs and calories where they should be, get your water in and take your vitamins. Use myfitnesspal. If, after two months you are not losing weight, then maybe you should have surgery. But if you are losing, then your tool does work. You just have to be committed to work it 100%.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ladygodiva1228
on 3/11/15 2:21 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Why did you decided to revise to the sleeve?  Where you having issues with the band or did you think a different surgery would get you to goal? 

One would have to assume that with only 40lbs to your goal you would have to be a self-pay to get your sleeve readjusted no?

Do you measure everything you eat or do you just eyeball it? 

And to answer your question.  No I would not go for a third a surgery. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:26 am

I was stuck all the time and in  a lot of pain, sometimes I couldn't even lay down at night because of the reflux.  I was afraid of what the band would do long term as I had read stories of erosion or liver sticking to it over time.  Yep self pay band and self pay sleeve too.  I don't measure.  Thank you for your response. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views