I hate not fitting in at work

ElizaM
on 4/16/15 12:15 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm having a rough night. For some reason, I've found it really hard being at work and listening to people talk about food. I know it's stupid but I hate being the odd woman out.

There are two kinds of conversation at lunch. The first kind is when someone goes "Guys. I'm gonna go eat a pound of gummi bears/a quarter of pineapple upside down cake/tons of pizza/a giant thing of frozen yogurt. Who's with me?" There is always tons of food like that around that everyone demolishes. And then talks some more about all the junk food they wish they were eating.

The other common conversation is when people go on at length about how healthy kale/quinoa/acai berries/lentils are. I'm sick of hearing people talk about how healthful veganism is. Plus, coming right on the heels of crazy bad-for-you food talk somehow makes it even more exhausting.

I know it's stupid but I am so frustrated that I can't join in the gluttony. Sometimes I even join in with the food talk and am like, yeah, I love gummi bears! Because a part of me always will, I guess, although I no longer eat them. And one of the reasons I'm annoyed by the talk about everyone's ideas of "healthy eating" is that it is so obviously at odds with how I eat. Frankly, I think the way I eat promotes my health. It has certainly helped me lose a TON of weight and reverse my diabetes and by any measure I am as healthy as can be. I never, ever talk about my diet choices at work. Yet they cast sidelong glances at my (very non-vegan) lunch while expounding on their own ideas of what makes for healthy eating. 

I LOVE my coworkers, but I am so frustrated and fed up right now. I just want to vent, which is probably not making me feel any better but whatever. I'm just having a bad night. And I wish I could eat a crap ton of crappy food.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Beth Of Fletchair
on 4/16/15 12:46 pm
with

You lost 240 lbs!  Your life must be completely different and better in hundreds of ways.  Maybe you should consider doing some power walking away from your co workers at lunch time.

GooseGirl
on 4/16/15 12:56 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Maybe it's something in the air because I have been in a weird mental space recently as well. I don't have any great words of wisdom to share with you but I'm sorry you are feeling this frustration right now. Hopefully knowing there are folks here willing to listen to you vent helps alleviate that frustration a little bit. 

frisco
on 4/16/15 1:28 pm

Might be easier said than done......was easy for me....

Make it a non-issue.....many more positive things to think about.

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way.....

Protect your skinny !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/15 4:25 pm

I get you! You know what, though? You eat for you - no one else. You eat your meat and veggies and feel great about it! No one, not anyone at all, is entitled to tell you what is healthy for you after what you've done for yourself in the health department!

My opinion? They all ought to be at your feet soaking in every word you have to say! 

Mary Gee
on 4/16/15 5:16 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

"...And I wish I could eat a crap ton of crappy food."  

Now that ^^^ made me laugh.  Just today I was driving home and wished I could "stuff my face" -- but I knew my restriction would kick in and I'd feel as sick as a dog and would want to puke!   Then I thought "Thank God for my restriction!!"   It's very rare, but there are times (usually emotional stress) when I just want the "full feelng" that only a potful of creamy pasta brings me.  (I know, I know, I could make some spaghetti squash - but it ain't the same )

I used to avoid the "community lunchroom" like the plague - and that was long before WLS.  It seems like Gibberish was the language spoken there.  I generally tried to go out for a walk or find a place where I could ready.

Vent away!   

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

sechax0r
on 4/16/15 10:39 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

So glad I work at home, alone. No lunchroom to deal with!

White Dove
on 4/16/15 11:08 pm - Warren, OH

I would make wonderful treats and bring them in to share.  I would leave my fat-free, sugar-free cheesecake in the breakroom and it would quickly disappear.  People did not even know it was diet food.  My recipe is on the forum.

When people find out how good my things are, they beg me to write down the recipes for them.  Life without sugar can be great.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

psychoticparrot
on 4/17/15 12:48 am

IMO, the topic at work should be "Please, Eliza, give us the benefit of the wisdom you acquired during your incredible journey from poor health to vibrant health."

However, people being what they are, they will continue to alternate discussions about gooey sweets and veganism. You can't change them, so change how you react to them. That's hard, and I don't say that in a glib way. ("Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change").

BTW, I have a similar problem with my long-time friend, whom I'm about to overtake, weight-wise. So far, she has been warmly supportive of my successes. But when we meet for lunch, it's a bit strained when I order a bowl of soup and she orders the giant hamburger with fries and dessert (and yes, I'm envious). Not sure how we're going to resolve that.

psychoticparrot

Pamela M.
on 4/17/15 1:12 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I would definitely remove myself from the lunch room environment with a nice long walk or go somewhere quiet and read a good book.  This wouldn't be hard for me because generally speaking, I just don't like people.  Most people are incredibly boring and kind of dumb, okay, really dumb.  There, I said it.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views