Scared to sip? How long on room temperature drinks

Melissa502
on 4/21/15 2:16 pm, edited 4/21/15 2:31 pm

I'm home from surgery. I didn't even have the surgery until like 2:00. Anyway, so when I walk it feels like my insides are coming out. I am moving at a super slow pace. Is this normal? Also, my surgeon says to sip room temperature drinks so my sleeve doesnt contract. How long before I can drink cold water? Also, I'm super nervous about sipping too. I don't seem to be having issues with it but I'm just terrified of over doing it. Is this fear normal as well?

Melissa

Surgery Scheduled for 4/20/15

poplargreys
on 4/21/15 2:25 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am three weeks out and ice cold water still makes me feel slightly urpy. Room temperature liquid goes down fine, and has from day one. The first few days, I totally loved hot herbal tea and broth, they felt wonderful on the way down and I would never have been able to reach my fluid goals without them. 

I didn't feel any odd sensations when standing/walking, but I couldn't sleep on my side for the first two weeks because it did feel like my guts would fall out. I'm fine now, and only feel slight twinges when I stretch certain ways.

astueckroth
on 4/21/15 5:22 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

The reason for room temp or warm drinks is it causes muscles to relax as opposed to cold which would cause a contract response. Move at whatever pace is comfortable but the important thing is to move. Prevention of blood clots is big and if you were a laparoscopic procedure and they used the gas this will help alleviate that problem as well.

My surgeon gave me a shot glass and said it would be my new best friend, he said I had to get one down every 30 mins and it was sipping most of the time for the first few days. 

The big things are moving, getting your water (HUGE) and getting your protein which is important but second in comparison to the water. at least the first few days. but you do need the protein as well.

J Connel
on 4/21/15 11:55 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I did better post-op with warm/hot liquids in the morning.  Towards mid-day I started adding in cold beverages/water and it seemed to do okay.  I'm now 9 days post-op and can drink about anything at any temp.  

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

ElizaM
on 4/22/15 1:12 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I don't think you need to be terrified. The first liquid I was served in the hospital was ice water. I learned pretty quickly that it felt like crap, and so I stuck to lukewarm or warm liquids. Broth was my favorite thing. I don't really think it's harmful to drin**** water or I imagine they wouldn't have served it in the hospital. It's just easier to get your fluids in if they aren't cold, IME.

Try to relax and focus on your #1 job: staying hydrated. Cold water will come, but there's no rush.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Gwen M.
on 4/22/15 5:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's normal to have fear - sip anyway.  You can't really overdo it on fluids.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Hislady
on 4/22/15 10:16 am - Vancouver, WA

If you have never had surgery before yeah it's normal to be nervous and it's good that you are trying your best to follow your doc's orders. You can relax some tho there is nothing to be afraid of, you can drink whatever temp water feels good to you and as much as you can of it. It may go a little slow at first since your insides are swollen from the surgery but as they relax it will get easier to swallow your water. I would much rather see someone like you who is afraid to go too fast than some of the ones who are 2 days out and want to try to eat pizza already! You will do fine and just relax, follow docs orders and don't be afraid to call your doc to ask questions!

Shellster
on 4/22/15 9:18 pm

I completely understand what you are feeling. I had sleeve surgery on the 20th and my main issue is acid reflex (that i have never had before) and nausea. I am struggleing to grt anything in. I am going to try thearm tea. Good  luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views