Day 1

Kellyrob
on 4/21/15 1:25 am
VSG on 04/20/15

i am 1 day out and very uncomfortable, in past experiences how long should I expect this (100 sit-ups ) feeling to last I have 1 site that is more painful then the others I guess where they pulled my stomach from. I am about to do my fluid challenge soon. I have heard most people regret having it done initially post op and I feel like one of them right now. Hoping tomorrow is a better day.

momsy55
on 4/21/15 2:01 am - ME

Hi Kelly!  Congrats may not seem appropriate right now, but will soon.  Everyone's experience is different, so I just offer mine.  I was uncomfortable for the first few days, but it got less with each day that went by.  I only had pain meds (1/2 dose) once, the first night.  Walking frequently helped, as did sleeping in a chair with my feet propped up, as getting in and out of bed taxed my stomach muscles.  They also gave me a small pillow to push against my abdoman when needed, which really did help.  By the time I got home, 2 days after surgery, I was able to sleep in my own bed, propped up with lots of pillows.  I had surgery on Monday, and was able to drive a short distance by Friday, with my husband along.  Standing zapped my energy big time for the first couple of weeks, but after the first few days, I didn't need to nap.  The worst of it all for me was a couple of days into week 2.  I was very constipated and needed lots of MOM to blast me out, which made for one rough day.  Some get constipated, some get the runs - I'd suggest talking to the dr. about what to do now, to ward off getting too bottled up.  I've done fiber gummies and added Smooth Move tea when needed, but some people do miralax or other fiber supplements.  Again, moving frequently, sipping fluids constantly to keep from getting dehydrated, and listening to your body - resting when needed, will help lots.  My sense of smell and taste both were heightened for a few weeks, and it took a little experimenting to find what fluids and temps worked best for me.  I found icy cold and hot worked best.  Sucking on sugar free popsicles gave me a steady source of fluids.  Hang in there Kelly, it will get better as each day goes by, and eventually you'll be thrilled that you did this!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Kellyrob
on 4/21/15 5:19 am
VSG on 04/20/15

Thanks Mary, as the day has gone on I do feel a little better. My thought is not getting any sleep due to q1hr checks and q2 hr walks. I had a little melt down. I am still very sore. I am half way done my fluid challenge.i know it's a learning process and I have to relearn my body. 

Jamie L.
on 4/21/15 2:37 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

Don't worry, it will get better very soon.  You are in the hardest part and it will get better very soon (REALLY) just take it easy and listen to your body and use this time to pamper yourself.  I did better eating warm things or room temp, the cold stuff did not agree with my tummy (and I usually like everything over ice). A heating pad on my tummy for a short time several times a day really helped the discomfort for the first week or so.

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

Kellyrob
on 4/21/15 5:22 am
VSG on 04/20/15

Never thought about the heating pad. I asked about ice which is what I use where I work for post sections. I am having back pain now I think from the bed here. If I get to go home I may try the heating pad on my back. 

psychoticparrot
on 4/21/15 3:10 am

Recovery from the surgery goes by smoothly for some. For others, not so much. I had a very difficult recovery that included two trips to the ER for dehydration and a kidney infection. Believe me, during those first four weeks, I was certain I had made the biggest bone-headed decision of my life to have the surgery. At six weeks post-op, I finally "turned the corner" and started feeling better each day. By two months out, I felt like myself again. And now at nearly three months, I have more energy than I've had in 10 years. I can walk without pain and fatigue. I had a handicapped placard for my car because I previously could not walk 50 feet without stopping to catch my breath. I don't need to use that any more. And I'm almost 50 pounds lighter, a third of the way to my goal weight.

All this means is that you did not make a mistake having the surgery. You will start to feel better, but make no mistake, you've had major surgery and it takes time to recover from that. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kellyrob
on 4/21/15 5:25 am
VSG on 04/20/15

I need to remember that. I think I compare my recovery to my BFFs and some girls I work with who had the same procedure. 

psychoticparrot
on 4/21/15 5:45 am

Comparisons are almost never a good idea. Everyone has their own rate of healing after surgery, as well as rate of weight loss. Don't get discouraged. Day 1 post-op is different for all. And that goes for days 2-2000. Concentrate on taking good care of yourself. You will heal; things will get better.

psychoticparrot

Gwen M.
on 4/21/15 6:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You just had major surgery!  Go easy on yourself.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views