Pre-Op Diet : How Well Did You Do?

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 9:16 am

My doctor has placed me on the pre-op diet, Surgery scheduled July 9th 2015. I understand that this is something that everyone has to do before surgery, but I wonder if anyone else is/has struggled like I am now. If my doctor said eat nothing but Salads and Chicken breast for 2weeks, I could do it, but these shakes are kicking my butt. I am sticking with it, but it is getting hard. I am a person that likes more savory food, so drinking a sweet drink 4-5 times a day is not working. 

I bought this new Protein GenePro and it is flavorless so I can add it to anything, including the Campbell's soup but I am missing chewing something. I am a wife and mom of 4, so I cook 2-3X per day and it is very difficult to cook delicious food, not taste it and drink liquids...I would definitely prefer a salad. 

Please let me know your experience and if you stuck to the plan exactly. Not looking for an way out of it, just want to know if I am alone in my PreOp Diet Struggle. 

Gwen M.
on 6/22/15 10:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My pre-op diet was 10 days of liquids only.  The first three days were miserable, but it started getting better around day five.  I was super busy dealing with some emergency cat health issues at that point, and my dad's first rounds of chemo.  

I was 100% compliant.  It sucked, but I did it.  I also didn't cook at all for my family when I was on liquids.  I did a lot of freezer prep beforehand so that they'd easy options.  Do you have a partner who can help with food prep?  Are your kids able to assemble their own meals?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 1:13 pm

Yes, I do have a partner, my hubby is AWESOME, but he could burn pasta noodles...My kids would probably rather starve than eat their dad's food. Also we have a special needs daughter who is rather particular. My oldest can help but the others are young 3 and 1 so they still need mommy. 

I am sticking with it, but it is really hard, but I know in the end, it will be worth it...Thanks for sharing your experience. I may have to ask hubby for a little bit more help and just supervise. :-) 

GooseGirl
on 6/22/15 10:30 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

LOTS of people struggle with pre-op. This is the hardest part but it is so incredibly worth it. I don't have any great words of wisdom on how to make it better just know that yes, it does suck but 2 months from now it will be a distant memory and you will be THRILLED with the changes you are seeing. 

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 1:15 pm

I was totally feeling alone in my struggle. Everyone that I talked to went through it with no issues, or at least that is what they told me. 

I am hanging in there and I am counting down the days 'til surgery. I am grateful for this opportunity and WILL Not FAIL. Thank you. 

Hislady
on 6/22/15 1:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

They are liars then because nobody enjoys it or has an easy time of it I had 30 days of skim milk 3x a day before and another 30 days of liquids post op.

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 2:49 pm

Oh Wow! This really puts my thoughts into perspective. 30days of Skim and only 3X a day. So glad you made it through that, so you could share that awesome testimony. Wow! 

I have been dealing with mood swings...hubby thinks its because I am going through withdrawal from Coffee but I'm not sure...could be the withdrawal from food.  Again thanks so much for sharing. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/22/15 7:33 am, edited 6/22/15 9:22 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Because my BMI was so high, my surgeon required that I do the preop diet for four weeks.  I started at six weeks because I was paranoid that my liver wouldn't shrink enough and they would close me up without performing the surgery.

Every surgeon has a different preop diet.  Mine made me buy $450 worth of prepackaged liquids that were horrible.  I ended up drinking the protein shakes that my bariatric PCP recommends and eating one low carb meal a day.  It sucks, especially in the beginning, but it's part of the process.  It behooves you to stick to it because it will be a distance memory over the course of your post WLS life.

Hang in there 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 2:45 pm

I guess it truly is different for each surgeon. I wish I could eat one meal. At least a chicken breast or something. But it seems that you were on it longer...I have been on it for 8days and have 17more days to go. Thanks for sharing your journey with me. :-) 

gwen41539
on 6/22/15 3:33 pm - kimper, KY

Im post op and the only thing that has kept me going and motivated is this board and knowing I'm so.close.to the finish line...My pre op for.surgery is next Tuesday ...I have been on my diet like im supposed to it SUCKS so bad lol and I never realized how much we ate out till now we eat out way to much..Lol...it been hot here also I haven't been cooking a lot usually just one meal a day and im allowed one low carb meal so I make it a family friendly one...I feel your pain I really do I'm a.mom.of.4 too my hubby is great ....you just have to find the will power to push through and do the best you can good luck 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views