7 weeks pre op diet and bored w/ food

KansasPrincess
on 8/27/15 6:45 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

so i can only have 2-3 protein shakes per day, metamucil if needed, and 4-6 oz " edible" protein, and any number of vegetables that my heart desires. but im craving weird thing that are off the list. like yogurt and cottage cheese. im only on day 4 of 7 weeks and already bored... can you all help me w/ other ideas on whta to eat pre-op.... i hate that its 7 weeks long but when you are 400+ pounds i guess thats the price you pay....

wyo_sarah
on 8/27/15 7:58 am

I didn't have to do a pre op diet, so I don't really know what kind of foods you need. What do you mean by edible protein? What doesn't yogurt or cottage cheese work?

KansasPrincess
on 8/27/15 8:02 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

no i cant have any dairy products

wyo_sarah
on 8/27/15 8:17 am

That is too bad. Can your protein be meat? That is what I eat the most of. And you can cook different kinds of meat so many different ways.

KansasPrincess
on 8/27/15 8:19 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

im stuck on tuna and chicken not sure what else constitutes as protein

Neesie57
on 8/27/15 10:20 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You should be able to eat beef, chicken, lamb, tuna, any kind of fish and beans.  All are dense proteins.  Your doctor or nutritionist should have given you an extensive list of all of the foods you can eat.  If you need more help with food choices, there are wonderful members who will be able to give you some great ideas to keep your diet varied and tasty.

cappy11448
on 8/27/15 8:25 am

I feel for you.  I was 385 pounds at my start, and I had to lose 50 pounds before surgery.  Fortunately, I had a bit more flexibility in my diet.  I ate three meals per day with 3 to 4 ounces of protein and all the low-carb veggies I wanted. 

I found I had to make interesting foods to help me resist all the foods I couldn't eat.  So I have a ton of interesting recipes that I make all the time.  I've posted a number of them on the recipe forum.  I'd suggest looking there.

Some of my favorites are:

• crack slaw
  • chicken in spicy peanut sauce
  • chicken and broccoli divan (from Lauries Low carb Cook book)
  • greek chicken with Kalamata olives
  • Chicken with tomatoes and artichokes
  • harvest chicken salad
  • salmon
  • crustless mushroom quiche (I substitute plain greek yogurt for the cream)
  • Philly cheese steak sloppy joes

to name just a few.  Many of them are posted in the recipe forum

Yesterday I made mongolian meat balls or the first time, and they were great.  They are made with chopped cabbage and carrots mixed in with the meat and they have a spicy sauce.  They were so good, and the veggies help keep the calories down. 

Its interesting.  I eat so much less now, yet I spend so much more time cooking than before.  It takes effort to eat healthy, but the results are so worth it.

I lost 225 pounds and I'm a normal BMI now.  I never would have guessed that I'd ever be a normal weight.  But it can happen.  This weight loss surgery really works!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Eggface
on 8/27/15 10:48 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Pre-op... fish, scallops, crab... put a piece of salmon in a piece of foil with some sliced zucchini and spices fold up toss on BBQ closed grill for 20 minutes or so (adjust for thickness, less for shrimp) http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/12/packe t-dinner.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 8/27/15 11:16 am - Warren, OH

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops, salmon, steak, hamburger, roast beef, corned beef, beef ribs, beef stew, pork chops, pork roast, ham, chicken, turkey, lentils, beans

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KansasPrincess
on 8/27/15 12:07 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

thanks for that huge list. i wasnt aware that all of that was protein. it stinks not being able to have dairy products.

Most Active