Question about stretching post sleeve

elliebean78
on 9/9/15 10:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Hi all!

I was sleeved in feb of this year. Doing great and lost 89 lbs. I lost my insurance and moved out of state, so I feel weird calling with a bunch of questions. I just wanted to know, I'm still getting sick to my stomach after eating 2-3 oz. I keep seeing what other people post that they're eating, and it seems like so much more. Will my stomach ever expand to be able to hold more, or is it possible that I may just stay at that amount? 

Thanks!

frisco
on 9/9/15 11:09 am

First, congrats on your WL !!!

I would call your surgeon and discuss your concerns and see if it's common among his/her vsg patients.

That said, it's hard to compare these days because the there is a pretty big range of sleeve sizes being made. The vsg is not standardized and capacity can vary greatly.

My thought is that you are on the good side with a smaller sleeve and it will serve you well in the long run.

At 6 months I was eating about the same as you and now at near 6 years out eat 2-4oz. protein portions. 

I am amazed sometimes when I read of people eating more than I can and only 3 months out..... as eventual capacity takes about 2+ years to establish.

This journey is ALL about the long haul.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

KeishaLeigh
on 9/9/15 11:28 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I had surgery in February also. I am right there with you on the capacity. About 3 oz max is all I can eat without feeling horrible. Some days not even that much. I'm not sure how much my sleeve will stretch over time but right now I am enjoying having the restriction.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

emelar
on 9/9/15 11:34 am - TX

You're only 7 months out.  2-3 oz is pretty normal.  One day, you'll wake up and discover you can eat a little more, and you'll totally freak!  Sounds to me like you're doing great.

FuturePinUp
on 9/9/15 11:45 am

What Frisco said! I am only 3 months out and I can eat 3-4 oz in a sitting. I have also never felt sick after eating anything. It seems like no two sleeves are the same though, and capacities range based on surgeon, post-op diet, height, etc. I would be concerned though if you feel sick after you eat the recommended portions. I think if you call the surgeon's office directly with your concern, they may be able to ease your worries more than we can! I think they'd be OK answering a quick question without asking for insurance, etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Paula1965
on 9/9/15 12:20 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

I'm just over 5 months out from surgery and can eat 2-3 oz. of protein plus 1/2 C veggies at a meal. I have never thrown up after eating since VSG but have had the slimies 2-3 times and if I over-eat my stomach hurts and I burp non-stop for about 15-20 minutes until the food starts to go down. I'm getting much better on the soft cues on when to stop (I can't always eat the same amount)

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

jgreenlee12
on 9/9/15 1:37 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I'm 9 months post op and it really seems like from day to day my capacity changes. Some days I can eat a lot and some days I can only eat 2 ozs. And it definitely changes with WHAT you eat. There have been days when I could eat a whole bag of pop corn but only 2 little tiny chicken strips. It is a mystery, that is for sure.

psychoticparrot
on 9/9/15 4:33 pm

I was also sleeved in February and have lost 85 pounds. I can eat 3 ounces of protein, which fills me up but doesn't make me sick to the stomach. I second what several posters have said and check with your surgeon just to make sure you don't have a restriction or other problem, but it sounds like you're doing well with your weight loss. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Valerie G.
on 9/10/15 9:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, your stomach will stretch some over time, but DONT PU****  

I'm nearly 10 yrs out.  My stomach started about 2oz, and now I can eat about 12 oz, depending on the food itself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poplargreys
on 9/11/15 8:24 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I was sleeved 3/31 and have lost 120lbs total, 80 since surgery. My capacity is different day by day, sometimes meal by meal. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views