what the #$@&$ is wrong with me..

mmsmom
on 11/11/15 5:19 am - Woburn, MA

Aim to get through today - and think to yourself... I can eat a cookie again, just not today ... then do the same again tomorrow.  after a few days, you'll stop craving the sugar and be proud of yourself and then each day will get easier.  Also, my therapist suggests picking simple meals and sticking to them initially - i.e., have the same breakfast and lunch every day - take the guesswork out and stick to your plan.  Also be prepared - have good choices available and know what is a trigger food - don't be around the pizza - go for a walk while your family eats if they HAVE to have it - which they don't.

This is so worth it - good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

happyteacher
on 11/11/15 5:28 am

You can fix this. It is good that you are aware that what you are eating is causing it (as opposed to occasionally we see posters who do not recognize it). You likely can eat a lot due to eating slider foods, such as the pizza mentioned. Go low carb- and it is not often you see me recommend that. Eat protein first, period. A little green leafy veggies here and there- but no carby food. You are triggering a never ending cycle with the carbs- you eat them, your system floods with insulin which then spikes your hunger and repeat. Break that cycle. This will take a couple of days, but your restriction should come back full force. Use protein shakes. Put yourself on a schedule and stick to it. Here is what a day might look like (adjust the times to better fit your schedule):

8 AM- protein shake (a good one, not a carby crappy one!)

10:30- cheese stick (light variety)

1 PM- chicken breast of choice, 4 ounces or less- eat only until satisfied and not hungry. If you want to eat it diced on a bed of spinach or something that would be Ok. No sugary dressings though- my staple was simply lemon juice and pepper.

3:30- some type of a protein snack- rolled up deli meat, greek yogurt, etc

6 PM- protein dinner- eat mostly protein and minimize those carbs

Keep those snacks under 100 calories, and better if under 80 calories. The first 4 days will be hardest as you detox, but it will get better. Also, I highly recommend that you identify the time of day you tend to binge eat the most- and then schedule your exercise at that time. It will keep you out of the fridge and burn off that glucose in your blood stream, which in turn will help to break the cravings cycle. 

Adopt the mindset of taking it one meal at a time versus "tomorrow will be a better day". Strive to be consistent- not necessarily perfect. But, if you make a bad choice get right back on track. IF you follow the example above at least 90% of the time you will for sure lose weight and feel a ton better. Good luck-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 11/11/15 6:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Find a therapist to help you work through this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cappy11448
on 11/11/15 6:32 am

Wow.  I'm so sorry that you are struggling!  I know what a big decision it is to have the surgery and it must be so disappointing to not have the results.

I have a few suggestions that might help:

First you have to defeat the carb monster!  I am over 2.5 years post-surgery and I still watch my carbs meticulously.  It would be sooo easy to regain the weight if I didn't.  I've tried adding just a few crackers and it was a slippery slope to cravings.  You can do it.  You need to go very low carb for a few days. - white-knuckle it.  Its hard but you can sustain the low carb for a few days.  Then the cravings should pass, and it will be much easier to stay on plan.

Second, weigh and measure your foods, and log everything.  Once you start to lose weight, it'll be self-reinforcing. 

I find I need to cook a lot so that I have interesting foods to eat.  Its ironic, that now that I eat so little, I cook so much more than I did pre-surgery.  I need to have good interesting foods so I can tell myself,  "You can't have that pizza or lasagna or chocolate cake, but you can have crack slaw, or buffalo chicken, or strawberries and whipped cream." 

You can do this!  I'll be rooting for you!

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 11/11/15 8:27 am

I agree with everyone that therapy is in order here. It's your thinking more than your eating that needs to be addressed.

In addition to therapy, you might also was to check out Overeaters Anonymous, which is dedicated to help change the thoughts and emotions that lead to compulsive eating. It's not for everyone, but I've found it very helpful. It may be helpful for you too.

Good luck to you! 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Shel25
on 11/11/15 8:42 am

Hi, previous posters have already provided great ideas for action.  For myself, taking ANY action (it doesn't have to be big) pulls me back from feeling entirely out of the control. 

So glad you posted!  That is an action on its own.  Keep at it!

Take care. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/15 9:16 am

How wonderful that someone can come into this forum and admit defeat and ask for help and rather than berate with judgment and "how could you?", the members raise each other up and and offer advice and well wishes. What a wonderful place this is!

remember why you had surgery in the first place. To lose weight and be healthy and feel good about yourself. The only advice I have is to do what most others are saying, and seek the help of a therapist. Best of luck. You are not alone. 

JoeyJo
on 11/11/15 10:08 am, edited 11/11/15 2:08 am - NJ

Normally, I allow myself some slack only on the weekends.  If I crave something during the week, I will allow myself to have it during the weekend IF I still want it.  Sometimes I don't.  If I do, I plan it, log it and eat it.  However, going to an extravagant wedding one weekend away from home, followed by a huge tailgate party the following weekend, I fell off the wagon pretty hard.  I had other issues going on at the same time.  Perfect storm.

I get on the scale every day and although I am trying to get to goal, I really had become quite comfortable where I was.  The scale went up 10 lbs. and I started beating myself up for almost a week.  Then I picked myself up and got back on track.  I went to the store and bought my staples.  I started eating like someone else was feeding me, as if I had no choice, but it was OK because I loved the food I was eating. 

I started eating Quest bars for breakfast again - not imitations, raw sweet red pepper and tuna for lunch, Light & Fit Greek yogurt for 3:00 snack, protein for dinner with some vegetables and pistachios or fruit later if I was hungry.

I walk 5 days a week for 25 minutes and do a ton of stairs, up and down.  I started with downstairs and eventually started going upstairs.  I started crocheting again to keep my hands occupied whenever I watched TV and I walk around as much as possible to get to 7,500 to 10,000 steps.

If you do not have one, GET an UP24, UP3 or Fitbit fitness band.  It makes it so much easier to keep track of everything and move more.  Also, it tracks your sleep.  I have found that if I do not get a good night's sleep, everything suffers.

It took 2 weeks and was not easy, but the weight started to come off.  All of the wedding/tailgate weight is off and now I am back on track towards my goal again.

Good luck.

robinreinhardt
on 11/11/15 10:28 am

Raeb,

You have come to the right place. I find the more often that I come here, I stick to plan. Believe me it's not easy. I am a sugar addict too. Listen to the Vets here they are so successful. Just remember you know how to do this because you have lost 25 pounds. Good luck and we are all with you.

Robin

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/11/15 11:37 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

So you screwed up, it happens, stop beating yourself up. It's not about when you fall down, it's about when you get back up. No one is perfect all the time, you know you have a problem & are seeking help, that's a good start. I agree with most of the people on here, track, log & measure your food, get off the carbs, seek therapy. Vent as much as you want, it's a lifetime commitment & sometimes you fall off track, but you can get back on again.

Try looking online for support groups in your area. Overeaters anonymous is pretty popular & I think they have online support forums if there aren't any in your area. Good Luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views