Day 23 Question

MaggieL
on 12/10/15 5:14 pm, edited 12/10/15 5:19 pm
WLS on 11/17/15

I'm 23 days post op.  My stomach is uncomfortable with every bite.  I eat slowly, chew well and such.  But, each bite feels something like I've swallowed air.  I see my doctor Monday, but wonder if others had this issue and how long it takes for the sensation to go away.  Oh, and I'm only eating eggs and mashed potatoes (on the list the doctor gave me), can't seem to eat anything else.

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/15 5:20 pm

Doesn't sound unusual to me. You have had major surgery and undoubtedly lots of swelling of your stomach area. No wonder the stomach is uncomfy. I had a lot of burping and air with each bite at first. It will improve but it takes time. Still burp more than I used to but at almost 5 months out from surgery it is a lot better and eating is far easier, even pleasurable again. Let us know what the Dr says.

SDenae
on 12/10/15 8:09 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Maybe try eating something else for a while (stage 1 baby foot meat worked for me.) A lot of us have problems with eggs after surgery. I do.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Duetoprivacy
on 12/11/15 5:04 pm

I strongly recommend trying something other than eggs and mashed potatoes. Here's why:

1. Eggs are often poorly tolerated post WLS. My nutritionist says that scrambled are the hardest post-op because of the way the egg white and yolk proteins congeal; and
  2. Mashed potatoes won't help you meet your body's protein needs. They're a good source of vitamin A and calories, but our bodies already have plenty of calories to burn from foods we ate in the past. Sticking to protein-dense foods is the fastest way to get to goal and also helps your body maintain muscle mass.

Foods that worked really well for me at about 3 weeks were:

1. Cottage cheese (2%)
  2. Triple Zero Greek Yogurt
  3. Tender salmon
  4. Premier Protein pre-made chocolate shakes
  5. Ricotta cheese with a tiny bit of marinara sauce and a tiny bit of mozzarella
  6. Tender scallops

I hope you feel better soon. Is your stomach acid well controlled?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views