Cramping

LosinginAZ
on 1/21/16 11:40 am

Hi everyone.  I am on day 3, finally turning the corner I think. I haven't dry heaved or thrown up today, thank god! I do still get terrible stomach cramps when drinking anything, even with tiny sips.  Is that normal? 

I hope to get out of the hospital today but at home I don't have access to these iv fluids and iv nausea medicine so I am nervous. I sure hope this gets better because I am severely regretting the surgery right now. 

MaggieL
on 1/21/16 11:57 am
WLS on 11/17/15

I had cramps for 2 months when drinking anything.  The suggestions that my doctor made was to try different temperatures or different flavors.  It didn't help me at all but another patient that had surgery the same day it helped her.  (We keep in touch.)  She was up and around feeling great on day 4.  Everyone is different.  Check with your doctor, she may have other suggestions.   I wish you the best!

suzyq584
on 1/21/16 12:53 pm

Hi, I didn't have cramping but I have heard lots of people do.  I sure hope it eases up for you and that you have a restful recovery at home.  

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

LosinginAZ
on 1/21/16 3:44 pm

I haven't had a lot of responses so I am worried that this is maybe a problem. I can't get anything down without pain. 

CMR1075
on 1/21/16 4:48 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I get about 2 - 3 sips in before it starts to hurt. I am only 6 days post op so I'm still learning as well. I can't figure out if I am full from the few sips or if it just hurts from the VSG/hernia repair. Hope you figure you out soon and find some relief!!

White Dove
on 1/21/16 8:08 pm - Warren, OH

Imagine a big, freshly sewed together wound on your arm.  It would hurt to pour any liquid on it, even water.

Your outsides look pretty healed but the healing inside is much more extensive.  You just need time to heal.  I set a timer for one sip of water every ten minutes and five minutes of walking every hour.

After a few weeks you will be more healed and the swelling will go down. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poplargreys
on 1/21/16 8:42 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Hot/warm liquids always settle better for me than icy stuff, even 10 months out. The first week or so, anything colder than room temp was absolute misery for me, but hot tea and broth felt WONDERFUL and still do, especially if I'm having a tender belly day I can always count on a cup of hot tea to make my stomach feel better.

Madrina
on 1/23/16 2:39 pm
VSG on 12/23/15

Yes. I had the same problem. I still have difficulty drinking liquids, unless they are warm. I make a point to drink decaf tea or warm lemon water throughout the day in order to get in my fluids. The key is sipping. It's harder than it sounds. I still catch myself drinking too fast and then come the cramps. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views