4 days post op, cramps when drinking?

LosinginAZ
on 1/22/16 1:09 pm

Hi all. I am 4 days post op and trying to get in all the liquids my doctor wants. When I drink, small sips, I get a cramping pain through my stomach. Is this okay? Should I just power through and keep drinking, or will that hurt me?

Also, off subject, I gained 10 pounds in the hospital. Did anyone else experience this? 

Thank you

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/22/16 1:18 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I think the weight is from all the fluids that were given at the hospital. Are you taking in a lot of air when you sip? sipping again too fast?         I don't know what is causing cramping.. I know if I take a drink, then take another drink too quickly I feel a sort of tightness in my chest.. feels like gas/an air bubble trying to work it's way up. 

CMR1075
on 1/22/16 2:38 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I have the same thing...7 days post op here. I consulted with one of my BFF's that had this surgery many years ago. She said it's normal and to just slow down even more than I already am. Our new tummy's need a lot of love in the beginning and I have learned I can only take about 2 - 3 sips before it starts cramping and then tapers off. Hope that helps!

Nick S.
on 1/22/16 3:55 pm - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Sounds like you just need to slow down and take smaller sips. It won't physically injure you to sip quicker but you'll get tightness from excess air build up.

I had a rough time drinking for several days after surgery, even though I thought I was going slow. You need to train your brain to learn a new level of sloooow. Any types of consecutive sips or bites of food cause bits of air to follow into your stomach.

It was, and sometimes still is, tricky for me but I keep working at it. You'll get better at it soon enough, but for now just take it a notch slower and have small sips. 

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/16 6:04 pm

Very normal. I had the same cramping the first few days. How I dealt with it was by letting the sip dribble down my throat. After I did a few sips like that I could actively swallow a sip. Drinking water is a full time job the first several weeks. It does get easier as you heal. 

I gained 12 pounds I believe while in the hospital. IV fluids.... came off very quickly and I lost an additional 23 pounds the first month post VSG after I got rid of the IV water weight. 

kyzze
on 1/22/16 11:28 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Try drinking your liquids at room temperature. Sometimes when it is too cold it is uncomfortable to drink.

Chanti_
on 1/23/16 12:32 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I had cramps but only if I drank too fast.  I remember it took me ages to get my fluids down those first days.  As another said, all my beverages had to be room temp or warm as anything cold in my sleeve made me cramp as well.  

You need to keep drinking, dehydration is a real concern in the first few days because of the small quantities we are able to get in.  So keep sippin' slow and steady.  This too shall pass.  

JudithJohnson
on 1/23/16 4:49 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Warm your water up a bit! That should definitely help, and try not to take in air when you're sipping. A lot of people breathe in right before the water hits their mouth and that causes cramps. Never drink through a straw! The weight gain in the hospital is from fluids, it will come off very soon, but they just had to make sure you stayed hydrated while there.

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

sweetjazz
on 1/23/16 3:37 pm
DS on 01/06/16

I just had surgery on 1/6/16 and I had the same problems with pain even on the tinyest sips of water, for me the pain stopped after 12th day after surgery just give it some time.  My Doctor did tell me if it goes on for a month they would have to do a procedure to check it out.

Good luck!

nakole73
on 8/14/16 11:14 pm
VSG on 08/10/16

I gained 3 pounds in the hospital

Most Active