Harder than I thought...

jmay86
on 2/20/16 7:01 am
VSG on 03/03/16

So I'm on day 3 of my 2 week pre-surgery "diet" and I didn't anticipate it being this difficult.  Here is what my surgeon has me doing for my daily food intake:

8:00AM - Meal Replacement Shake (I went with GNC Lean Shake RTDs)
11:00AM - Meal Replacement Shake
1:00PM - Salad (veggies only) with 2tbsp of Light Dressing and a Meal Replacement Shake
3:00PM - Meal Replacement Shake
6:00PM - 6oz Lean Meat & 1c Green Veggies
8:00PM - Meal Replacement Shake

Now, I'm no doctor, but I think the point of Meal Replacement Shakes is to replace full meals, not have multiple times a day as a snack, right?!

At this point, I've not been able to take in 5 of them a day, it's just too much...  The 8:00PM one is gone from my "diet"... 

Was anyone else given a "diet" like this?

JudithJohnson
on 2/20/16 7:20 am
VSG on 12/03/15

The reason you need to eat every 2-3 hours is because the main reason we gain weight is unstable blood sugar. By eating more regularly, the body actually goes into fat burning mode as it understands that it doesn't have to store fat because it's being fed every 2-3 hours. Keep the 8 PM on there, it's very important or maybe pu**** to 9 PM, but you don't necessarily have to drink the whole replacement shake if you can't. As long as you drink a little bit. 

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

White Dove
on 2/20/16 8:08 am - Warren, OH

My two week pre-op was clear liquids only.  I was allowed broth, water, diet juices, sugar-free jello and sugar-free popsicles.  I never eat or drink anything unless I really want it.  Skipping a meal replacement shake would be fine with me.  I had no hunger after day three and weight fell off on my clear liquid diet. I was also on liquids for two weeks after surgery but allowed to add protein shakes after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

emelar
on 2/20/16 8:22 am - TX

My pre-op diet was similar.  By the end of it, I was gagging down 2 of the meal replacements (we used the Slimfast stuff, either shake or protein bars) and eating my one allowed meal a day (lean protein and non-carby veggies).  It was nice to know that I could have the meal replacements, but I really didn't want them.  

Grim_Traveller
on 2/20/16 8:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It will be a long time after surgery before you'll be eating salad and veggies again. I'd drop them now, and you can get used to your postop diet. Keep the shakes and meat. 4 or 5 days before surgery I'd drop the meat too. 

That's what I'd do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/20/16 9:48 am
VSG on 01/11/16

My pre op was 100g of protein a day.. I wasn't allowed any milk or dairy products during my pre-op, only clear drinks/broths and protein drinks.  I'd make a protein shake using a premier shake and a scoop of protein powder (50g) twice a day and split it up so i was getting at least 4 oz of protein every four hours. Then warm chicken, beef or wonton broth. It was difficult until about the 4/5 day.. I napped often those first few days.. lol

9-10 am, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

1-2 pm, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

5-6 pm, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

9-10 pm, 4 oz protein  (25g protein)

Broth or sf jello as I wanted in between.. good luck!

Nick S.
on 2/20/16 10:13 am, edited 2/20/16 2:15 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

My pre op diet was 3x protein shakes per day. That's it. No snacks or dinners or anything. Coffee or 1 cup of clear broth was ok but I didn't partake.

Following this regiment, I lost nearly 30 lbs in 2 weeks.

The first 4 days were hell. Day 5 got better and it was better every day since. 

I'm not your doc, but I'd advise sticking with the shakes only and keep your calories under 400 per day. You'll lose weight. You won't die :)

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

ubserved
on 2/20/16 11:55 am

When I was on my pre-op diet, I was on liquids only. Which meant I was drinking 5 protein shakes a day. That totals 800 calories, I drank my zero calorie Sobe Lifewaters, and I could have as much sugar free jello as I wanted. The first 5 days sucked out loud, probably that was do to carb withdraw. It was like a switch was flipped on day 5 and while it wasn't fun, it became more of a head hunger than anything else. I lost 30 pounds in 12 days prior to surgery. I would suggest you try this diet plan as it was very successful, but that's up to you. Also I tried a variety of different protein shakes, the only one that tasted halfway decent was Premier Protein Shakes, you can find them at Costco. Good luck.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/16 1:00 pm

I know I could not do 5 shakes most of the day. But - what you also doing is preloading your body with proteins... That should help you heal faster and would help in first few weeks post op if you had problem getting enough proteins. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

To P.
on 2/20/16 3:13 pm

Remember this is all about shrinking your liver so it is easier and safer for you while you are having your operation! So be very good! Keep busy. Like packing all your clothes and taking them down to the Good Will because you are not going to use them anymore! LOL! Trust me! My starting weight was 286lbs and 9 months later I'm at 165lbs I went from a 50"w to a 34"w and from a XXXL shirt to a Medium and I feel fantastic. It is sooooooooooo nice to shop for clothes in the REGULAR mens area. I mean it is so nice to stand in front of the pants and not have to crawl all the way down to the bottom shelf and all the way to the right and pray they have a pair of pants that will fit. We have all been there. NOW it is like a cornucopia EVERYTHING fit.....

So stop thinking of what you are eating, trust me in a couple of weeks you'll not have that problem anymore. LOL And start thinking of how great you are going to feel and LOOK! 

Most Active