wondering how I'm doing...

betterme2014
on 3/14/16 7:29 pm - Canada

Just wanting some advice on what I'm eating. I see the dietician on April 8 again.
6 weeks post-op sleeve. My clinic wants us to get protein from food. Sometimes I do have a shake though. Also they say to eat three meals and 2-3 snacks a day.

My servings total a half cup or less. I can't eat more then that.

B: Greek yogurt with rough bran

S: One Baby bell light

L: Squash/lentil soup

S: Bean salad

D: Chili with 1/4 avocado

S: Greek yogurt with protein cereal.

My vitamins and water are good. I went for a walk today as well. Most days I don't eat all my snacks but today I was hungrier.
Also I am trying more beans because turkey and chicken make me feel a bit sick. Eggs also aren't sitting well. TIA

cappy11448
on 3/14/16 10:18 pm

This all looks good to me, but you didn't list the amounts.  So its hard to tell.  If your meals are 2 ounces each, then you are probably ok with 6 meal/snacks.  If its 3 or 4 ounces per meal then you might be getting too many calorie for rapid weight loss.  Are you counting calories? 

At 6 weeks out, I was probably getting between 500 and 600 calories per day.  Also, I chose to avoid beans because I was trying to stay very low carb.  For me, carbs trigger cravings big time, so I kept my carbs low - below 25g per day most days.  But if you can eat beans without triggering cravings, then I guess its ok. 

I hope this is helpful.  But you are the best judge of what works for you!

Best wishes,
Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 10:47 am - Canada

Thank you - this was very helpful! I'm actually surprised with what my clinic says I can eat. From the first time I saw the post-op diet plan and sample meals I really thought there were a lot of carbs. They do stress protein first etc. I chose beans because they are on the list for proteins and also chicken just makes me feel yuck. I did try stewed beef today so I might be eating more protein like that, plus I like salmon as well.

The bean servings are 1/3c...not sure how many ounces. I eat 1/2c greek yogurt, usually 1/3c cottage cheese. Beef, chicken, fish etc they say 1.5 ounces or 1/3c is a serving. A grain serving would be 2-4 Melba toast. I rarely eat the grain serving. I do sometimes eat Fiber One with greek yogurt.

This is what they want us to follow:

Breakfast: Choose: one protein-rich food serving AND one grain products serving AND one fruit serving

A.M. Snack: Choose: one protein-rich food serving AND one fruit OR grain products serving

Lunch:Choose: one protein-rich food serving AND one grain products OR vegetable serving

P.M. Snack: Choose: one protein-rich food serving AND one fruit OR grain products serving

Supper: Choose: one protein-rich food serving AND one vegetable serving AND one grain products serving

Evening Snack:Choose: one protein-rich food serving

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/15/16 11:50 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

IMHO, the plan they gave you is for someone who has not had WLS.  Too many carbs, grains, fruit, etc.  My basic plan was to eat dense protein and vegetables for meals, and greek yogurt or cheese for snacks.  My surgeon's office still thinks one protein shake a day is acceptable.  I have one for breakfast daily and I'm two years out.  You might want to check out the "What Are You Eating Today" thread to get an idea of what many recent post surgery patients are eating.

Sometimes you have to make a choice whether you're going to follow their plan, or decide that they are out of their flipping minds  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 12:49 pm - Canada

yes agreed!

Most people do end up going low-carb to keep loosing from what I have noticed or heard. The truth is I don't eat beans like that every day...nor will I...but according to the plan I could. By the time I've eaten my meat I don't have much room for anything else either :)

Thanks for the info on the thread I will check it out.

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 12:50 pm - Canada

Also I usually have a protein shake in the morning because I'm too rushed and can't seem to eat and feel good in the morning.

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/16 11:46 pm

If this is an average menu and it complies with your surgeon's program, you're all good.

The sample menu you provide is very light on protein and carb heavy compared to the plan I was given and followed. I would personally add a protein shake or two per day rather than rely on adding carb heavy foods with minimal protein. Just my opinion, though. 

FuturePinUp
on 3/15/16 6:03 am

This was exactly my thought as well.

It seems like your meals are too carb-heavy and most post-op plans require you to eat a protein forward diet. I didn't even think about things like cereal or bran until I was about 6 months out. Beans are also super carb-heavy. To maximize my losses, I try to stick to under 50g of carbs a day and based on the below, it definitely seems like you are going over that.

Was a protein-forward eating plan recommended by your doctor? Have you been tracking your food intake? I see you mentioned you have had issues with tolerating eggs and chicken, etc. Have you tried any seafood? Flaky fish like tilapia tends to be mild and easy for maturing sleevies to handle.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 11:34 am - Canada

My clinic discourages protein shakes etc. They want us to get our protein from our food. They do always say protein first, then veg, then grain. Beans are on the protein list. I thought it was pretty carb heavy myself.

They also suggest 3-4 grain servings a day if you have room after your protein and veg or fruit. Each grain serving is 2-4 melba toast or other. Sort of surprised me.  I don't have much room for grains though so rarely and barely eat them.

I'm not knocking my clinic - they are fabulous that's for sure.

I am eating rough bran due to constipation issues. It's really helped. A TBS is all I need.

Tuna and other fish are good...I am eating them. I do track my food by planning ahead but I don't necessarily write it down.

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 11:39 am, edited 3/15/16 4:35 am - Canada

Also - by choice I usually do have one protein shake a day. I find I need to to get my protein in.

The list I showed was bean heavy but I don't eat like that every day. I usually do have greek yogurt and cottage cheese, also turkey and light cheese, some veggies. I also tried stewed beef today and it was good. Yesterday was the first day I had that much beans...actually yesterdays total was probably just as much altogether as the previous 2 weeks.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views