Ketosis.. Urine PH 5.5

msecanales
on 3/29/16 5:44 pm

Ok. SO I am well aware that Ketosis is good thing for sleevers. I am burning fat-using it as fuel. Awesome! My urine Ph is 5.5 (maybe lower, that's the lowest the strip reads).. making me acidic. Does this go hand in hand with ketoacidosis?

I can't stand the taste in my mouth! Yuck! 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

LosinginAZ
on 3/29/16 6:13 pm

It gives me the worst breath!! It's so embarrassing 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/30/16 8:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Check the "diagnosis" section on the wikipedia article for ketosis.

This would be a good question for your doctor. Call the office and ask, you can probably get information from a nurse or PA over the phone.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 3/31/16 1:04 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ask the doctor if you're concerned.  Generally only type 1 diabetics have ketoacidosis, which occurs because of high ketone levels with high blood sugar and an absence of insulin.  It's actually a combination of factors.

A blood test for ketones is far more accurate than the urine test.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you have very high blood sugar (like, 300mg/dl) and low insulin at the same time as ketosis.  Having said that, it's always vital to ask the doctor if you are diabetic.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

msecanales
on 4/2/16 8:01 pm

www.livestrong.com/article/297064-low-carb-diets-ketoacidosi s/ 

This is a really good artivle that talks about how low carb diets send your body into ketoacidosis.

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Donna L.
on 4/3/16 5:07 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have a bachelor's in biochemistry, and there is very little, if any, accurate science in that article.  This is a much better website to understand the innate process:  http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/fatty-acid-oxidation.p hp

If it were true low carb diets triggered ketosis, more bariatric patients would go into diabetic ketoacidosis.  We are in ketosis on and off for the duration of our weight loss phases.  Also, ketosis isn't some rare metabolic state.  The body goes into ketosis whenever you are unable to eat significant amounts of carbohydrate.  All people are also in ketosis when they sleep, for example.  No one goes into ketoacidosis when they sleep unless they are diabetic.  It's a natural state of the body when we are unable to eat.  

It is extremely unlikely to occur from being on a low carb diet, though, and I've never seen someone have it happen unless they were severely diabetic and insulin dependant.  If you can produce insulin, you're very unlikely to experience ketoacidosis.  Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different states and are fundamentally unrelated in many ways.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

msecanales
on 4/3/16 8:32 pm

thanks for the info!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views