Surgery in the Morning

Darcy G.
on 4/6/16 1:06 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Hey y'all.

Drinking broth(with unflavored protein powder, yay office lady who called to confirm I knew everything for tomorrow and I could ask about the protein powder), and doing some last minute writing before I bundle myself into the car to drive to Columbus tonight so I can make the 5am check in tomorrow.

The doctor already told me I'm staying 4 days because of my history of clots and my long time use of coumadin--he expects more bleeding than usual. So... I guess it's good he's expecting it and it doesn't just take him by surprise. And I've been watching the procedure on YouTube, and there's so little bleeding that goes on in the surgery, I'm guessing if I lose a lot by comparison, I won't need a transfusion. Looking for silver linings, right?

I take my last Lovenox in an hour and I wanted to say for everyone else who ends up stabbing themselves with these little evil acid monsters: If you give them at a snail's pace, it hardly hurts and you don't get the goose-egg bruising. Snail's pace = if you can see the plunger moving without really concentrating, you're going too fast. Also, wipe any stray drip off the needle before you put it to your skin... that makes it hurt a lot worse.

Confession time: In the lead up to now(well, to yesterday), I've been nervous, but it was manageable. Last night when I was trying to go to sleep, I started getting that sharp-drop pitting feeling in my stomach every time I thought about the morning. Not even thought about the surgery, or going to the hospital. I just had to think something connected to the surgery--like that today was my last day home, so all thoughts of today caused the Epic Nerves to appear. Mental plans on how to tackle my day of clear fluids? Yep, that triggered it. What time I wanted to wake up? Mmhmm. Even just consciously acknowledging that there would in fact BE A MORNING... ***stomach-pit***

I've had 5 surgeries in my life: spleen, gallbladder, left carpel tunnel, right carpel tunnel, and corrective mandible surgery. The first when I was 11, and the last 16 years ago. All of them were before my heart started flopping out of rhythm at a small breeze. And this is also after my 3-at-once pulmonary embolisms which darn-near killed me in 2008, the thing that really acquainted me with my own mortality.

The doctor's put me into the 1% risk category for general anesthesia. And the VSG risk is about 1%. And my surgeon's leak rates are about 1%. Which is all great, but that's still 1 in 100. And my innate hatred of math makes those numbers and the idea of 1 in 100 mean nothing to me! I'm blaming the hatred of math, at least. I'm probably just looking for something to blame my fear on, because I like to consider myself strong--strong enough that I won't admit to anyone in my daily life that inside I'm FREAKING OUT.

So, yeah. I know it's totally normal to get a great big wiggins from going under the knife, but I would appreciate all good thoughts, prayers, or even chicken sacrifices you feel up to winging my way(No religious discrimination in Darcyland, just eat the chicken after, eh? We use every part of the buffalo round these parts...).

xo

Dee R.
on 4/6/16 1:40 pm - CA

Good Luck to you tomorrow!!  You're going to do great!  You're prepared and have a good attitude.  We all made it here and I KNOW you will too!!!

Starry Eyed
on 4/6/16 2:42 pm, edited 4/6/16 7:42 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Good luck Darcy!  I'm sending thoughts of a quick and easy surgery and recovery!  Hugs!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/6/16 3:22 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sending positive energy courtesy of the FSM your way!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 4/6/16 4:16 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

fingers, toes and eyes crossed for a quick recovery for you! 

see you soon.. walk, sip use the breathy doohickey device.. rinse and repeat :) 

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/6/16 5:19 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

/Hug your going to be great! I checked in at 5am too, I was first up if you are too you got his full attention he's had his coffee and breakfast and your in a great spot!

Try to dwell on small goals what you want to do to celebrate. If you have old cloths what wait did you wear them.  Look at old pics of yourself both smaller and bigger.  Call a good pal and laugh at small stupid things. I have a feeling you are good at that lol.  Smile and then go to bed, you'll be ok, we all have been.  I'm excited to have you on the losers bench very soon! 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

luvmypuggies
on 4/6/16 6:06 pm

I just ate my chicken sacrifice (JK just Costco), and am sending good vibes your way. You've got a super sense of humor. :)   I'm sure surgery will go just fine and you'll be up and about in no time - just try to relax and let the doctors and nurses do their thing, and think about what a wonderful journey you are about to begin.  I'll be thinking of you tomorrow - let us know how it goes.  Good luck!! :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/16 7:22 pm

It sounds like you will have a wonderful surgery! Sounds like you have a great surgical team and they know your history. You already know the wigging out is part of the journey and it sounds like in some way you're okay with your anxiety. I can't wait to read your first post op post! 

Positive energy coming your way! 

PUGGLESPUPS
on 4/7/16 2:49 am - MA

I hope everything went well and your on your way.   Please let us know how you are doing. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/7/16 4:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

It sounds like you are in good hands.  Best of luck!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views