Just a few more days....so emotional.

ejirish
on 5/19/16 3:40 am

Monday is around the corner. I'm mildly freaking out. I have butterflies almost all day long, but I'm still sleeping through the night which for me is a miracle. Usually when I stress out I'm up all night...

I cant wait just to get through it. I've had to tell a few folks at work that I'll be out for 2 weeks and I can tell its killing them to know why...I know thats their tough luck but its still awkward. 

My husband and I are off together Friday- thats when we're hitting costco for premier shakes and other stuff.... I think hes really excited for me too. 

The main thing running through my head is of course, what if something horrible happens...what if I'm the one in a million...ugh such dread to think that. I know to shake it off, but ugh...

I cant wait yall'... I just cant wait. 

ps- when its over, someone has to help me make my ticker! 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/19/16 5:24 am, edited 5/18/16 10:26 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

You'll be fine :) Glad you could take the two weeks off! I'm going back to work 5 days post op, dont have any other choice :( Fortunately, I have a pretty sedentary job.

Why not rock a ticker now? That way its all set up and ready to go :)  This is how I did it, at least. Someone else may have another (maybe even better?) way

Step 1 

Click the "mountains" on top right 

Step 2

Click on Manage Tickers

Step 3 

Click new ticker

Step 4

Customize how you'd like, click show in MB signature if you want in signature on posts, or on profile

Step 5

Click Save

Step 6

Click back on "mountains" to add in current weight to make a log :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Kris R.
on 5/19/16 5:25 am - Walworth, NY

Good luck on Monday - you've got this.  I wish I had done it sooner, I feel so much better even though right now I'm at a stall.  For me, my headphones and Pandora saved me while I was in the hospital.  Oh and remember your charger.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Kris R.
on 5/19/16 5:26 am - Walworth, NY
tdelson
on 5/19/16 6:52 am
VSG on 10/12/15 with

I was worried about the risks, but my primary doctor reinforced that if I didn't lose weight it was only a matter of time before the weight got me and continuing on my prior path was like playing Russian Roulette. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/19/16 11:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I absolutely understand being worried. Before I went into surgery, I wrote up goodbye letters to my family, saved them as email drafts, and posted my email password on the fridge "just in case." It's totally normal. In my surgeon's words, "being worried means you understand how important this is, and that's good."

I'd suggest holding off on Costco until after surgery. A lot of people find that their tastes change on protein shakes post-op, and something they liked before surgery tastes really gross afterwards. It's a good idea to pick up a few different kinds, and then buy in bulk once you know what you're OK with.

If people get nosy, you can come up with fun answers to explain. I especially liked "I was in the hospital for a few days to give birth to the alien baby I've been growing since I was abducted two years ago." :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 5/19/16 7:56 pm, edited 5/19/16 12:57 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Good luck! :D

I was pretty nervous too.  I had been the one in a million about ten years previously when I had a MRSA infection during a routine surgery that almost killed me.  Weeks and weeks in the hospital, and then I had a wound vac.  I completely loved my bariatric surgeon - he is exceptionally skilled and also very much at the forefront of his field.  He saved my life.  I had a perfect textbook lap procedure, even though I weighed 400 pounds the day of surgery.  

I told everyone at work because I didn't care.  Lots of people don't tell their workmates.  You need to feel comfortable at work, and it's only your business to share or not as you wish.  Too bad if someone doesn't like you keeping it to yourself!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

sliminmexico
on 5/20/16 12:03 pm

Hola Emotional,

I wish you all the luck in the world. I have to wait until August but am doing all my research, reading and talking to people who are making this journey. Keep us posted on your progress. Positive attitude will get you through.

Tizzles
on 5/20/16 12:27 pm

Good luck on Monday. You will do fine. In nursing school during the first month we covered perioperative surgery. So pre-intra-post op. One of the things we talked about is how important it is to stay positive during recovery. So acknowledge your nerves and anxieties, they are normal and everyone has them when they go through any surgery. On Monday morning just start speaking positive things like - "This surgery will be a breeze." "This is so routine, this doctor is going to have me out of the OR in no time!." "I can do this, this is my choice for a healthy life and I will overcome any obstacle in my way." Things like that. No this isn't me trying to tell you to be new agey and hipster, but being positive before and after surgery really helps with a faster recovery. Science doesn't even understand why, they've just noted that it helps. Maybe some people are just more susceptible to positive thought that others. Or maybe it's just all hokey and doesn't matter, but it surely won't hurt!

Please accept my prayers for a really fast and boring surgery, and a really fast and boring recovery! You will do great!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views