Not getting enough protein

amcz82
on 6/13/16 12:42 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

Hello everyone! So I am almost 2 weeks post op and I am having some issues getting enough protein in. I was wondering what are some tips you all have for getting in a lot of protein. I have just found myself not hungry or I get full really quickly before I can get my protein in for a specific meal.

Thanks all!

seabexlose
on 6/13/16 12:51 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

What are you allowed to have on your diet?  At your stage, I was still on a liquid diet and I really liked drinking the Proti-15 water enhancer that gives 15 g protein per glass of water.  I have to buy it at my surgeon's office though, I know it can be hard to find.  Atkins has now made a similar product called Lift that is flavored water with loads of protein. I haven't tried that one yet thought.

amcz82
on 6/13/16 12:52 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

I am on the puréed stage. I'm trying to put some unflavored protein powder in some of my foods, but I'm just not eating a lot.

I have tried that Atkins protein water and wasn't a big fan of the flavor.

seabexlose
on 6/13/16 12:55 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Bummer.  I haven't tried it yet. Loved the Proti stuff.  Are you eating 3 times per day or 5?  Good luck!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/13/16 12:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's very difficult to hit full protein goals for the first two weeks when all you can do are liquids, and to some extent, you just need to do your best. Shakes are probably the most efficient way, and you can try clear protein powder (like Syntrax Nectar or Isopure) if the milk-based stuff is too hard to handle. Greek yogurt is a great option too, especially if you freeze it into teeny popsicles.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

malattogirl
on 6/13/16 2:16 pm
VSG on 05/23/16

I am 3 weeks post op and still not hungry. My Dr  told me to try to get 16 oz of protein shake down a day, which I could not do 1st week. But everyday  I drank a little more. I spaced the 16 oz out, 2 oz at a time, then 4 oz, now I can get 8 oz down, but it takes an hour. Keep trying, good luck.

Anita
on 6/13/16 2:53 pm

I'm using the Premier Protein Shakes - today is the first day that I've been able to hit 60 g. I drank two of them - took me til 4:30 and I'm stuffed. I'm one week post op today.....woo hoo.....feeling good...tire easily, but that's okay.

Going to have some chicken broth for dinner and try to finish up my total liquid intake for the day by 9 or 10 so I can actually go to sleep early for once. So far I've got a bit over 40, so I should be able to get in another 24....I hope!

Someone told me about Musclegen earlier today. I think it has to be purchased on line, but apparently you take a tablespoon of the powder and it dissolves immediately in what ever liquid and gives you 30 grams of protein.....I plan on ordering some shortly....just have to do a little more research and ask a few questions.

Good luck.....you'll get there!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Donna L.
on 6/13/16 2:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

At 2-6 weeks out I had all my liquids have some form of protein or another.  I would mix Syntrax nectar protein in my water when I was sip sip sipping.  It made it much easier to get protein and liquid both in that way.  I also froze protein drinks in popsicle form and had those.

The first few months I would only eat food if it had protein in it.  No refried beans for me!  Even soups and broth I mixed protein powder in.  Unjury protein chicken broth was great at that stage.  It may seem weird, but I was at 50-70g/day two weeks after surgery, just from mixing it in all the liquids and water I drank.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Genie03
on 6/13/16 5:07 pm
VSG on 05/10/16

I found this recipe posted on a different forum on this site, and it works for me . 69 grams of protein in 16 oz. 

one premier chocolate protein shake10oz- 30 grams of protein

8 oz of fairlife milk-13 grams protein

2 TBS of PB2( peanut butter powder)- 5 grams of protein

1 scoop of Unjury protein powder- 21 grams of protein

I blend it all together and sip on it throughout the day.

you can get all the products except for the Unjury protein powder at Walmart.

Also , I used the Unjury unflavored protein powder in all of my blended soups .

hope this helps you some . Good luck in your weight loss journey!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/13/16 5:58 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I added Isopure Zero Carb powder to a Dannon Greek Light & Fit yogurt to make sure I was getting in my protein.  With that and a Premier Protein shake, I could hit my daily goal without too much effort.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active