Calling all VSG veterans

QTR-nevermore
on 7/3/16 7:48 am

Thank you very much. I am feeling hopeful.

diane S.
on 7/4/16 11:00 am

You ask good questions. Good for you for finishing nursing school. 

Regain after reaching goal can be tough to get off since your caloric needs are less when you are minus 100 lbs. But you still have your restriction and it usually takes tracking of food and staying away from carbs.  I am 6 plus years out and have regained about 8 lbs which is not too disturbing,  You have to truly change your eating habits for life and not just for the year of weight loss. I no longer eat bread or potatoes or rice or pasta and seldom eat sweets.  I used to be a sugar junky and am amazed I have been able to stop that. 

Never felt a hormone dump so no clue about it.

No regrets, Long term I just feel so much better and have energy and can shop in the teeny clothes.  The only disadvantage is some loose skin but oh well.  

So go ahead but recognize you must change your relationship with food forever and its well worth it.   gl    diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Tracy D.
on 7/5/16 10:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'll answer as many of these as I can at 3 years post-op: 

Is regain easier to get off?  That's a HELL NO.  It was way easier to drop 10-15 lbs. when I was 250 lbs. than it is to drop 5-10 lbs. now.  Waaaay easier.  The easiest part of your journey will be the first 12 months post-op.  After that it gets a little harder every year.  

I really can't help with info on Questions #2 and #3. 

Keeping danger foods out?  You simply ask them to not bring it in the house right now.  If you were a recovering alcoholic you wouldn't think twice about asking them to not bring booze into thehouse.  Someday you'll probably get to a point where you can handle it.  This is the least they can do for you right now. 

Benefits?  no more diabestes meds, no more high blood pressure, no more leg edema, better sleep, better life, period.  No disadvantages. 

Regrets?  That I didn't do it sooner. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views