7 days post-op and a steep learning curve

petra65
on 7/5/16 6:02 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

i am officially 1 week post-op today and was noticing that today is actually the first day I can say I feel "happy" again.  I wouldn't say strong or energetic yet, but I can definately tell I am making progress every day.

i thought I had read a lot and attended my educational classes, I'm a medical professional, I thought this was going to be a breeze and it hasn't been.  It is still major surgery, you will have pain, you will get constipation, nausea, all the other things that come with major surgery.  And it will take most people more than a couple days to recover.  

However, I have to admit I did a couple stupid things.  No matter how many times I read on here about how you are no longer hungry after surgery, I didn't understand this meant for the first time in my life I was going to have to force myself to consume calories and that was really hard for about 5 days.  I was consuming about 200 calories a day-and no I wasn't meeting protein or fluid requirements but I just didn't want anything.  

I also had a difficult time getting a handle on taking new meds, vitamins, old meds, not mixing things that shouldn't be taken together.  Over the weekend, I set a bunch of alarms on my phone to go off.  I may not need this forever but I clearly need it now and the past couple days I have been getting it done. 

right1
on 7/5/16 6:20 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Hi Petra!  I am a week out as well, and a medical professional.  I get you.  I am annoyed at having to take additional medications.  I am annoyed that my body is not performing all of its normal functions without prodding.  I was a bit surprised at the level of fatigue and weakness I felt.

I also was way underconsuming calories and protein.  I followed the post op diet, and I did eat 6 small meals, but what I chose didn't exactly get me enough.   Yesterday I focused on upping my protein, and that led to more calories.  For the first time since being home, I slept all night (I had been waking up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night) and I feel better.  Not normal, but better.

With your alarms, can you make your eating protein focused to see if you feel better?  And bravo to you for making the change you need to best take care of yourself.  I think we caregivers don't always prioritize self care enough.  Take care.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 6:20 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

It gets easier and easier (Im 6 weeks out)

I get nausea mostly when I take my medicines, and definitely when I take my multivitamin. It doesnt last but a few minutes for me, though

Keep at it ;)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

petra65
on 7/5/16 7:51 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Thanks for the support guys!  Sunday I was over 60 grams of protein and yesterday I met both my protein and hydration goals for the first time!  Yeah!  I seem to have developed a deep affection for green tea which is helping.  Also seems to calm my stomach.  

I have yet to sleep through the night.  I got a body pillow before surgery which has been awesome but I wake up everytime I have to change position.  I have also still been getting up for a couple hours in the middle of the night too.  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

malouser
on 7/5/16 8:04 am
VSG on 06/09/16

Hi Petra: I am a new sleever as well. Had surgery on June 9th. Sorry that you have been so uncomfortable. My experience has been different. I am meeting all goals most days-maybe too well because in Pureed the last almost 2 weeks I have only lost 4 pounds and I think they want me to lose about 9 so I will probably hear about it from my team on Thurs. When you get to pureed a trick I have done is I cook with my protein shakes. For example, I use 32g protein low cal Muscle milk 8 0z worth in oatmeal. I use half a cup of dried oatmeal and cook it all together. That breakfast gives me 39g of protein right off the bat and 11oz of liquid. I cook with 8 oz and drink the rest of the muscle milk. I am keeping all portions in check with a portion control bowl I bought-it has the measurements right on the side! I got that bowl from  Amazon. I am eating a bout 4 oz of pureed food 3 x a day and sometimes I have a sugar free jello for a snack. My tummy is doing fine with the vitamins and my meds-as they say we are all different. I do get gassy-burp when I know I need to slow down. Every meal I use a 20 min interval with a timer to help me to eat within that time frame. That is really helping me. Feel better soon! Hope my suggestions help.

Marilou (Malou) OH

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views