Feeling a little stuck ...

paflyersgal
on 2/8/17 8:10 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello everyone!! It's been awhile since I've logged on here. I hope everyone is doing well. In October I hit my 1 year mark. I was so amazed at the work I've done! I've lost 150+ pounds. My concern now is since November.. I haven't seen anything come off. I haven't gained anything either.. so I take that as a win, however; does anyone have any ideas what I could do to break my stall?

Karen

Karen

Rachel B.
on 2/8/17 8:33 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Well, if you are still religiously tracking your food.  I would suggest shaking up your workout, and the amount of calories you're taking in.  Vary it day to day if you can, or just knock some off.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Barbsleeved
on 2/8/17 8:42 am, edited 2/8/17 12:42 am
VSG on 08/22/14

Wow! You've done absolutely amazing! You should be very proud of what you've done so far. 

Stalls are a normal, natural part of the process and just a way our bodies take a break or adjust to the large losses. I stalled frequently through out my losing phase, so I was constantly having to be proactive to figure out ways to break them. I was either exercising too much and not bringing in enough calories to support it, or just needed to change up my routine a little with my diet and exercise. 

First things first, are you tracking your calories, carbs and protein intake? If not, I would start so you know where you need to go from there. We are all different, but at a year out I was eating about 1,000-1,100 calories and 70-80 grams of protein. I was slowly increasing my intake in preparation for maintenance, and each time I would increase my calories, I would lose weight. I was also adding in a few more carbs in the form of fresh fruit and veggies, although I was still keeping them relatively low at 50-70 grams. During my active losing phase I kept them well below 50 grams a day. Once again, increasing them seemed to kick start my losses again. I would also change up my exercise routine. If I was doing cardio, I would change up to resistance. If I was doing weights, I would change up to cardio. If you're not moving more, I would start. If you have been exercising, pick it up a bit. Exercise is the BEST way to kick start your metabolism again.

Try tweaking a few things and see what happens. Obviously something isn't working at this point, so time to change things up! Good luck!

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

paflyersgal
on 2/8/17 10:08 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Thanks!! I was thinking maybe my routine became too normal! I'm at about 800-1000 calories. 80 grams of protein and very low carbs. I have a weight routine Tuesday and Thursday and I run/walk Monday and Wednesday, Fridays I do laps in the pool. I don't workout on the weekends. My water intake is good, usually I'm way over my goal on that. I'm pretty strick with my myself.. lol.. hate to say it but maybe I need to loosen it up or something. Thanks for all the advice! I will defenitly use it 

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/17 10:48 am

Hi Karen, 

I'm not sure how much more you want to lose, but it looks like about 50 more, am I correct? If you have not lost anything since November you are not in a stall but have reached a maintenance level. When you set macro goals and log and track, I'd really suggest rearranging your protein, carb and fat levels. Your protein should be boosted to over 100 grams per day to start to shake things up. I would not add additional carbs or calories at this point - just rearrange to make sure you're getting a minimum of 100 grams of protein. You may also want to keep your calorie level closer to 800 than 1000 to get things moving again. 

This is what works for me. If it looks like it might work for you, great. If not, find something that does! Best of luck.

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 10:54 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I lost 140 the first year post-op, and had to scale down consumption and carbs after that.  Now losing again, thankfully. :)  I cut out most of the "fluff" carbs and fruit, and I focus on my protein primarily.  

What does a day of food look like for you?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views