2 Weeks out - Feeling good, but weight is already stalled

amanda787
on 2/8/17 1:50 pm
VSG on 01/24/17 with

I'm 2 weeks out from my surgery on 1/24  and feeling so much better than I thought I would be at this point.  My incisions seem mostly healed, staples are out, and I'm getting in my 30 min walk everyday.  Everything has been going smoothly with hitting my 40-60g of protein and 64oz of water, and getting in vitamins, but still I have had my weight stay the same down to the ounce for the past 5 days.  It's so frustrating.  I've seen that it's common for people to stall 3 weeks+ out from surgery, but it worries me that I've already slowed down.  On top of that I'm barely topping out at 400 calories a day. 

Also, I'm curious as to why all of the progression diets are so different.  Mostly just to say that I'm so bored of my liquid diet I could scream.  I was on 4 protein shakes and unlimited sugar free clears (popsicles, jello, crystal light, broth) for 2 weeks pre op, only clears for 3 days post op, and then I'm currently back on the protein shakes, clears, and added in cream soups until I'm 3 weeks post op.  I've seen in some diets that people are able to move onto pureed foods at week 2, and then soft at 3. For me it's pureed at week 3, soft at week 5, and then I can move onto normal foods at week 7. Mine just seems like such a longer process.  Despite my sweet tooth I'm so tired of sweet and ready for more than drinking. I swear my jaw is starting to hurt from lack of use, so I've made more of an effort to chew some sugar free gum occasionally (and obviously avoid swallowing) - which is doctor approved.  

Does anyone have any advice on moving past the stall? Or any insight into why my diet is so restricted or have a similar one? Solidarity might help lol.  Thanks in advance! 

Readyjwc
on 2/8/17 2:11 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi Amanda:

I had my VSG on 1/23/17. I've lost 12 lbs and have been at the same weight now for the past 3 days. Still eating the same...just a stall. I am allowed to eat cottage cheese and scrambled eggs (soft) now as I'm in Week 3. I was on liquids for 2 weeks post-op.

Yours does seem a bit longer since you have 2 weeks on pureed. Some doctors don't do pureed at all. It does vary.

Just keep on track. Hang in there - you've got this. It will pass.

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

CrystalLee
on 2/8/17 2:26 pm
VBG on 01/30/17

I had surgery on 1/30 and my diet is very similar to yours,  especially time line wise.  Just stick to the plan, it'll come eventually. Are you able to eat yogurt?  I've been mixing oikos triple zero yogurt with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and about 3 ounces of fairlife skim milk (it's higher in protein). I can split it between 2 4-oz meals. And girl, I hear ya, I just wanna chew something!!!

Gwen M.
on 2/8/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal to stall - the weight likely didn't go on in a steady pace, it won't come off that way either.  If you stick to the plan, the weight will come off.  And 5 years from now you'll probably not even remember that you stalled 2 weeks post-op :)

As for different diets - different surgeons have different techniques and have found what works best for their own patients in terms of diet progression.  I had liquids for 4 weeks total and, omg, I was so sick of them :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CMB_713
on 2/8/17 5:34 pm
VSG on 01/31/17

As someone else said, the surgeons each have their own way of doing things.   My surgeon did not apply a strict pre-op diet.  He said he sometimes does the "liver diet" for some patients, but he didn't make me do it.  One day of clears, NPO after midnight on 1/31,surgery 1/31.  I was on liquids (plus sugar free pudding/yogurt) for a week.  Today at my post-op, they advanced me to pureed foods, but I'm on pureed for four weeks.  I think soft is eight weeks after that and then three months is regular diet. 

I am only one week post-op, so I can't speak to the stall, except to say "Hang in there!" which I'm sure is easier said than done.  I wouldn't consider this a slow down in weight loss, and I'm sure that people with more experience would back me up.  Even the doctors don't always know what precipitates a stall or plateau sometimes.  Your body just has to catch up.  It will, of that I have no doubt!!

Best of luck to you, keep up the good work!

Chris

comeundone
on 2/8/17 6:28 pm - OH

Your body is adjusting to less calories it's not really a stall and your recommendations were similar to mine.I hunted down so many cream soups to help my boredom and also tried egg drop soup, One cream soup I found was cream of shrimp (found it at walmart)

HW 289  SW 242

Rubydoo11917
on 2/9/17 10:18 am
VSG on 01/19/17

I had my VSG on1/19/17. I was on liquids 1 week pre-op. Day of and after surgery I was on clear liquids. Since then I have been on liquids. My surgeon wants his patients on liquids for 4 weeks post-op, so one more week to go. Then I will finally get to have soft foods. As you know, I can't wait until next week.

It is rough being on liquids for me. I struggle everyday to get my 64 oz. and 60-100g of protein. I think I have met my protein only once and my 64 oz. a couple times.

I start each day as a new day, and push, push, push to get everything in. That is all we can do. Stay on the program you surgeon gave you, and you will see that scale move. You've got this. One day at a time, and tomorrow is a new day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views