New to Forum, Scheduled VSG 4-10-2017

Sabrina J.
on 3/22/17 4:04 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi! I am new to this forum and am scheduled for VSG April 10, 2017, less than 3 weeks. I am excited and nervous! I have been stalking...yes stalking a few forums and have decided to join yours! I appreciate the tips and am happy to hear about the progress of so many. I am the highest weight I have ever been and am tired of it. I am a 44 year old wife, mom and a pretty darn fun friend! I have always struggled with my weight in the 200's since having kids. The past year I have balooned up, my hormones are a mess and my Naturopath says I have PCOS. Except for the weight, being on Nature-Throid and my hormones I am very healthy- sugars are blood pressure are great. I have learned so much from everyone and have been getting things ready, if you think my below is too over the top, please say it like it is!! I want to simplify but at the same time I want to do the best for my body to get and stay healthy! I do have a few questions:

• I have purchased 2 different Protein Powders, Muscle Milk 100% Whey 27g protein per serving and Organic Protein Plant Based Powder 21g protein per serving. I hate to add so many more hormones to my hormonal hot mess body by drinking the Whey powder. Would you use the protein plant based one?Thoughts?
  • I have stocked up on Celebrate Multi-Complete 36 Chewable with Iron. Do you recommend this, if not what do you prefer?
  • I really do not want to lose hair (right now that and my eyes are my best feature)!! I have pulled many of your ideas and I have purchased Biotin gummies Puritans Pride 2,500 mcg, 2.5 mg. Yet after reading more I am wondering if this is the way to go.
  • Again- I don't want to lose hair...so I am going to get 60 grams protein min. a day.
  • Questions-Do you recommend the following: (I don't want to take so much and get sick or constipated - sorry)
    • Additional Iron? (Celebrate Multi Vit. has 36mg 200%)
    • Essential Fatty Acids with Linoleic & Linoleic Acid (Omega 3 fatty acids is what it looks like - found in nuts, flax seed fish) this would also help with consipation
    • I was reading that L-Lysine makes up 27% of protein in your hair and to supplement 1.5-2grams per day - do any of you do this-do you recommend a brand?
    • I need to check with the Nutritionist but I am thinking I would like to add an all natural fruit and veggie powdered mix to my shakes (once a day)
    • Does Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner seem to help?

I have never had surgery before and having my babies was easy...I would appreciate your advice and what has worked for you!! Thank you and in the future I will pass on the help!!

Gwen M.
on 3/22/17 6:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi and welcome.

I'll address the hair note. Google "telogen effluvium." Basically, the surgery and your reduced caloric intake will make your body think it's dying so it'll stop sending unnecessary energy to growing hair. You can't prevent this. If you're someone who will lose hair post-op, you're going to lose hair. Save your money, don't do supplements and shampoos. They will NOT help. Anyone who says that they WILL help feels that way because of correlation, not due to causation.

Also, skip the "fruit and veggie" powder. Your diet should be protein focused during weight loss, there's no reason to add carbs. (And, really, your diet will probably be protein focused for the rest of your life, since this isn't a short term lifestyle.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 11:20 am
VSG on 04/10/17

Gwen-Thank you for being real with me and I appreciate your time! I think maybe I am too worried about it and it is what it is, the hair should be the least of my worried - Right!

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 11:21 am
VSG on 04/10/17

I just looked at your stats and you are doing awesome keeping it off - very inspiring!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/23/17 3:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

As Gwen indicates, you are either going to lose hair or you aren't, but there isn't much you can do about it. I did not lose hair.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 129

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 11:24 am
VSG on 04/10/17

Thank you for replying! I think I am to worried about and it, good to hear you did not lose hair! Awesome on you weight loss and maintenance!!

hollykim
on 3/23/17 7:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 22, 2017 at 11:04 PM Pacific Time, Sabrina J. wrote:

Hi! I am new to this forum and am scheduled for VSG April 10, 2017, less than 3 weeks. I am excited and nervous! I have been stalking...yes stalking a few forums and have decided to join yours! I appreciate the tips and am happy to hear about the progress of so many. I am the highest weight I have ever been and am tired of it. I am a 44 year old wife, mom and a pretty darn fun friend! I have always struggled with my weight in the 200's since having kids. The past year I have balooned up, my hormones are a mess and my Naturopath says I have PCOS. Except for the weight, being on Nature-Throid and my hormones I am very healthy- sugars are blood pressure are great. I have learned so much from everyone and have been getting things ready, if you think my below is too over the top, please say it like it is!! I want to simplify but at the same time I want to do the best for my body to get and stay healthy! I do have a few questions:

• I have purchased 2 different Protein Powders, Muscle Milk 100% Whey 27g protein per serving and Organic Protein Plant Based Powder 21g protein per serving. I hate to add so many more hormones to my hormonal hot mess body by drinking the Whey powder. Would you use the protein plant based one?Thoughts?
  • I have stocked up on Celebrate Multi-Complete 36 Chewable with Iron. Do you recommend this, if not what do you prefer?
  • I really do not want to lose hair (right now that and my eyes are my best feature)!! I have pulled many of your ideas and I have purchased Biotin gummies Puritans Pride 2,500 mcg, 2.5 mg. Yet after reading more I am wondering if this is the way to go.
  • Again- I don't want to lose hair...so I am going to get 60 grams protein min. a day.
  • Questions-Do you recommend the following: (I don't want to take so much and get sick or constipated - sorry)
    • Additional Iron? (Celebrate Multi Vit. has 36mg 200%)
    • Essential Fatty Acids with Linoleic & Linoleic Acid (Omega 3 fatty acids is what it looks like - found in nuts, flax seed fish) this would also help with consipation
    • I was reading that L-Lysine makes up 27% of protein in your hair and to supplement 1.5-2grams per day - do any of you do this-do you recommend a brand?
    • I need to check with the Nutritionist but I am thinking I would like to add an all natural fruit and veggie powdered mix to my shakes (once a day)
    • Does Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner seem to help?

I have never had surgery before and having my babies was easy...I would appreciate your advice and what has worked for you!! Thank you and in the future I will pass on the help!!

we need a high protein diet for life so that means eating high protein foods. High protein foods means constipation for many. You would be best served to be thinking about a bowel program,for life,instead of so focused on hair loss supplements, which aren't going to do anything for hair loss. If you lose hair,it will grow back. In spite of ppl saying they are losing hair in "clumps", they likely aren't. One loses hair in clumps,from having chemotherapy,not was. Telegenic effluvium occurs with anesthesia,so any surgical procedure will cause it.

Fruits and veggies and the plant based powder are carbs. Carbs can stop weight loss and often cause gains. I would steer way clear of them until you reach goal or lose all the weight you want to lose.

Your body will be breaking down your store fat to use for energy and nutrition while you are losing. You don't need any fruit and veggies while it does that.

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 11:28 am
VSG on 04/10/17

You are right, I need to focus on things more other than hair loss. Can I ask what you do for your "bowel program"? I will not do the fruit and veggie powder - you completely make sense and I am so glad I asked about it. Congrats on your weight loss - it is inspiring!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 180 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views