Really struggling with Protein shakes (puree stage)

A.better.me
on 7/20/17 5:32 pm
VSG on 07/05/17

My NUT has recommended Unjury powder protein. I loved the chocolate splendor the first week after surgery (July 5) but now, it's all I can do to choke it down. I really liked the Premier shakes before surgery and have drank a couple since but now I can't drink them either. I don't not like the vanilla or strawberry at all. I've just started the puree stage but am only able to get 1-2oz of food down at a meal. I can get about 30oz of water down and that's pushing it at this point. Please help!! I know I've got to get the protein in but I feel like I'm at a dead end!!

Gwen M.
on 7/20/17 5:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Before you worry too much about protein, you've got to focus on your liquids. Lack of protein isn't deadly - dehydration is. Make sure you always have a drink with you and set an alarm to remind you to sip every 15 minutes. You should be getting 64 ounces minimum, and more is better.

As for protein shakes - Unjury makes a chicken broth protein powder and they've also got an unflavored protein powder. You could use either of these as a savory protein source. The unflavored could be added to something else you like such as pureed chili or beef broth or whatever. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/17 8:07 pm

I had surgery 4th. July. I agree with Gwen. Food is nor the most important. I'm struggling too with liquids. My pee is so dark.

Download water reminder to remind u to keep sipping

mmsmom
on 7/21/17 4:58 am - Woburn, MA

After surgery I couldn't bear the thought of a protein shake - my surgeon said i could have greek yogurt instead. Occasionally I have one now, but they're not my thing

VSG on 04/28/2014

jachristmas
on 7/21/17 6:23 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I used the Unjury chicken soup for awhile and it was a nice change from the sweet stuff. Then it too got old for me and I started using the Unjury unflavored..mixed it in SF jello and pudding, decaf coffee, and my favorite was SF hot chocolate (warm, tasty, and not as sweet as the other shakes). I have also mixed the unflavored with fairlife skim milk and SF chocolate syrup for "protein chocolate milk" that way I can control the sweetness and a serving had like 33g protein if I remember correctly.

~Amanda~

HW at consult #1 5/19/16: 348 lbs.

Consult #2 8/31/16: 331 lbs.

SW 12/14/16: 286 lbs.

dh101
on 7/22/17 9:10 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I have been having problems with the shakes. In my case, after surgery my system revolted at anything sweet. I'm still at the liquid stage, but my NUT allowed me to have a Tzitziki drink, yougurt, seeded & skinless cucumber, onion liquidfied in blender. Also SILKEN tofu which I warm with a little chicken broth.

i have added the Unjury unflavored and chicken soup powders to some of my creamed soups.

this all helps get the protein up, but drinking the water is key.

Sip, sip, sip!

best of luck

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Most Active