Had my surgery Monday!! (Things got scary) A lesson if you will.

Jesse3110
on 4/5/18 3:38 pm - Grandville, MI
VSG on 04/02/18

So, leading up to my surgery, my blood work came back with a hemoglobin of around 11.5. My surgeon wasn't concerned though because I had zero symptoms of anemia, etc. Fast forward to post surgery, one of my incisions split from me thrashing in bed at the hospital, it started bleeding. I figured it was normal so paid zero attention until the next morning when my surgeon awoke me to a blood stained shirt. They immediately ran labs and found my hemoglobin dropped to 6.9!!! He put a pressure dressing on and the bleeding slowed to an ooze. I stayed the following day. It's weird as I never once showed any symptoms of blood loss except for an elevated heart rate. Anyways the next day my hemoglobin rebounded to 7.8. I'm home and doing everything as instructed. It was very scary though. Just remember folks, what seems like a slow bleed can cause real troubles.

I'm excited for the journey to really ramp up, I'd lost 75 lbs pre-op!

tammy_59
on 4/5/18 3:45 pm

Hi, I am glad you are doing ok now. That must have been really scary. I have a question, I am going on 04-16-18 for my consultation with doctor. Will this whole process really take about six months before I can have the surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/18 3:40 am
VSG on 01/12/17

It honestly depends on your insurance. Mine only took about 3 months.

Shannon S.
on 4/5/18 5:07 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Glad you are home and doing better! Congrats!

Y0gagirl
on 4/5/18 5:20 pm
VSG on 03/26/18

Glad it all worked out, you always feel better recovering in your own bed. Love your enthusiasm.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/6/18 4:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad you're doing better. But it's a gooid example of why we all need to pay attention to these things ourselves, and not rely on our doctors so completely.

You didn't need symptoms of anemia when your hemoglobin was 11.5 before surgery. You actually WERE anemic -- your lab test was proof of that. It should have been addressed, because surgery was going to drop that, even without a bleed, or other complication. A more serious bleed would have been immediately life threatening.

About 2-1/2 years ago, my labs were all on the high end of the range -- hemoglobin, hematocrit, ferritin, etc. Then I had a bleeding ulcer, and liist 6 or 7 units of blood overnight. If I was already anemic, it would have killed me.

Everyone should stay on top of their labs. All of them.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jesse3110
on 4/6/18 3:07 pm, edited 4/6/18 8:08 am - Grandville, MI
VSG on 04/02/18
On April 6, 2018 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller wrote:

I'm glad you're doing better. But it's a gooid example of why we all need to pay attention to these things ourselves, and not rely on our doctors so completely.

You didn't need symptoms of anemia when your hemoglobin was 11.5 before surgery. You actually WERE anemic -- your lab test was proof of that. It should have been addressed, because surgery was going to drop that, even without a bleed, or other complication. A more serious bleed would have been immediately life threatening.

About 2-1/2 years ago, my labs were all on the high end of the range -- hemoglobin, hematocrit, ferritin, etc. Then I had a bleeding ulcer, and liist 6 or 7 units of blood overnight. If I was already anemic, it would have killed me.

Everyone should stay on top of their labs. All of them.

Sorry for not being more clear, but I was put on iron once my initial labs showed I was anemic (8 weeks prior if I recall). My Doctor said in his opinion (concurred by an independent doc) that my hemoglobin of 11.4 was safe to operate with.

Unfortunately I had the bleeding issues that the nurses basically ignored, my shirt had several large soakings of blood.

Today day 2 of being home, I had labs done and my hemoglobin is up and all other labs are in the normal range.

You're point is well taken though, I even downloaded an app which allowed me to track and compare my labs.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/8/18 6:14 am

Did the test your ferritin? Ferritin is iron stores in the body. If the did not - insist they do, and consider having it tested at least once a year.

My good hemoglobin numbers are around 14. When my ferritin drops under 30 - my hemoglobin and my RBC start dropping.

Knowing your ferritin levels may tell you if your body can raise the hemoglobin and RBC levels with supplemental iron, and how fast that may happen.

My ferritin was 16 and since I am going to have a hernia surgery by the end of April, I insisted on getting iron infusion.

Things can happen during surgery. Making sure I have enough reserves of iron is critical for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jesse3110
on 4/8/18 2:02 pm - Grandville, MI
VSG on 04/02/18
On April 8, 2018 at 1:14 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

Did the test your ferritin? Ferritin is iron stores in the body. If the did not - insist they do, and consider having it tested at least once a year.

My good hemoglobin numbers are around 14. When my ferritin drops under 30 - my hemoglobin and my RBC start dropping.

Knowing your ferritin levels may tell you if your body can raise the hemoglobin and RBC levels with supplemental iron, and how fast that may happen.

My ferritin was 16 and since I am going to have a hernia surgery by the end of April, I insisted on getting iron infusion.

Things can happen during surgery. Making sure I have enough reserves of iron is critical for me.

I believe so, but would need to double check to be sure. I went in Thursday for a draw & my hemoglobin had risen a bit, however my WBC was elevated. I go tomorrow and will insist they add ferritin to the order if not already.

AnnieG522
on 4/6/18 12:27 pm
VSG on 10/05/17

It's very good that everyone was paying attention to your situation! Glad you are on the mend. And what a great weight loss pre-op.

I'm 6 months out, but I had weird heart things going on, and had bleeding; had second surgery after heart consult, and 2 units of blood. So knowing your doctor is very good! I never felt badly, either, so the first line of nursing care/CNA is so important.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views