Vitamins?

hillcountry_rn
on 4/11/18 9:50 am
VSG on 05/14/18

Hi! I have been lurking for awhile but finally decided to make a screen name and post. My surgery is scheduled for 5/14 so I'm looking at what vitamins I need. Does anyone have any recommendations? I searched old posts but the last post was from 2017. Do they need to be the bariatric vitamins?

Thanks!!

CC C.
on 4/11/18 10:35 am

Your surgeon will likely give you some recommendations. Some surgeons are anti any pill larger than a baby aspirin early on, so that leaves you with chewable vitamins. Mine recommended Optisource Bariatric Vitamins.

hillcountry_rn
on 4/11/18 10:37 am
VSG on 05/14/18

Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/11/18 3:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Here's a chart I made with the most recent vitamin recommendations available:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OO_3Nse1GJYJ0izLO9kF v2v32hkDX0N6yZVfH8jBnpw/edit?usp=sharing

Generally speaking, you'll want to go with a good adult multivitamin (I use the Walgreen's version of Centrum Silver), as well as additional calcium and iron. Some people need to add in other supplements based on their lab work as time goes by.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hillcountry_rn
on 4/12/18 4:05 am
VSG on 05/14/18

Thank you! That is incredibly helpful. I'm kind of overwhelmed so I appreciate all the help :)

Valerie G.
on 4/13/18 5:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Julie's recommendation is spot-on. The extra cost of designer bariatric vitamins is unnecessary.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Harpediem
on 4/11/18 4:03 pm

If you get a good bariatric vitamin in a capsule, you don't have to cru**** and can mix it with an ounce of yogurt or applesauce till your tummy is healed.

DominicanOmar
on 4/11/18 5:44 pm
VSG on 02/06/18

These are the ones I been taking since day 1. I am 2 months out now and enjoy taking my vitamins

1-Flintstones Complete chewable- You could find this really anywhere, but I buy it at Walmart.

2- Vitamin D-3 1000 IU- Soft Chews Chocolate. I buy this at GNC

3- Nature's Bounty B-12 1000MCG- Make sure you get the one that desoves under your tongue. You could buy this in any pharmacy.

4- Calcium Citrate Soft Chews. I buy this one at GNC.

My nutritionist approved all of this when I showed her what I bought. Good luck.

MarinaGirl
on 4/14/18 12:08 pm

Flinstones are NOT a good multi-vitamin to take post-bariatric surgery as they don't have the right amount of vitamins to keep us healthy.

DominicanOmar
on 4/14/18 1:06 pm
VSG on 02/06/18

That is strange because my nutritionist recommended those to me

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views