14 Days Out - Appetite and Mood different by the minute

Teresa G.
on 6/23/18 8:43 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Happy Saturday, Sleevers (even though it's almost over.)

At 14 days out, it seems that I'm either ravenous or I'm just not that interested in eating. Today all I've had is a protein shake for breakfast, then a string cheese and 2 oz of Kirkland's grilled chicken breast. I was going to have green beans too, but I was so stuffed that I didn't even try. I was originally planning on having 3 oz of chicken, but again - I was just too full. Then three hours or so later, I had the other ounce of chicken breast. Figured I'd save my beans til tonight...I had steamed them until they were good and mushy.

Then just a bit ago, I went postal on my husband because he ate my mushy beans! (Some of it may have been my resentment for him eating a huge bowl of clam chowder with a couple slices of toast) Thankfully, he is pretty forgiving and is trying to be as supportive as possible...but that bread! The smell actually made me drool.

I've only had 400 calories today, but I'm at 63 g of protein, and it's already 8 pm so I don't know if I'm going to eat something else, or just go to bed. I'm still unclear on what kind of calorie count I should be looking for...the sample menu that my nutritionist gave me has 1000 calories and 112 g of carbohydrates! I've got a message into my nutritionist about that...it just seems like too much food and WAY too many carbs to me. *sighs* OK, decided to have a ham roll-up with a pickle spear, 5 green beans and 4 small cauliflower florets. And I could only eat half of it before I started hiccuping - which I have discovered is my stop signal.

I'm now getting on my treadmill in the morning when I get up...6 days in a row now! I've had a lot of problems with my feet, legs and knees so because of the pain I haven't been doing much walking or treadmilling for months. I decided that I just need to power through it, start slow, even just 10 minutes a day, and I'm already up to 20 minutes at a time after just 6 days! My legs, feet and ankles are actually feeling better - the best they've felt since November! Motion is indeed lotion and I'm not going more than one day between treadmill and/or walking ever again - God willing.

I also opened a Poshmark closet today. I added 17 or so items, and haven't even made a dent in what I have, so I'll be adding more for days! For those who don't know, you can sell your clothes there, and Poshmark takes care of the postage, mailing labels, pretty much everything for a small fee 2.95 or 20%, whichever is the greatest. I've got so many clothes, in 18, 20, 22 that are new with tags, or nearly new, and hopefully I'll get a little cash for it to reinvest in smaller clothes. I am definitely going to be doing some shopping of my own at Poshmark!

So that was my Saturday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/23/18 10:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The standard recommendations around here are 600 - 800 calories, 60+g protein, under 25g carbs.

At 14 days out, you do NOT have a "stop signal." The nerves in your stomach have been cut and you will not feel restriction.

The food on your plate is FAR too much for right now. Start with 1oz of meat, and LITERALLY 2 or 3 bits of veggies. The pickles, green beans, and cauliflower are too much for your sleeve to handle.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PCBR
on 6/24/18 1:24 am, edited 6/23/18 6:30 pm

Well, obviously you should defer to your nutritionist. Mine wants me at at least 600 calories and 70g of protein. My team isn?t as worried about keeping carbs super low ?at this stage?..mashed bananas and oatmeal are allowed as long as I?m getting protein first. I haven?t actually done those, yet, since I?m satisfied by the time I finish protein. One curious thing is..did you get to skip puréed stage? Everything I?m supposed to be eating needs to be easily mashed with a fork, and in a state that would ?be okay for a baby to eat. Low fat and low sodium are also emphasized (although small amounts of smooth peanut butter and avocado are allowed, which is awesome). I?m staying under 4oz of food per meal, since that?s the max that I?m told my sleeve would probably handle. Have not felt any restriction yet.

BTW, I?d be pissed about the green beans, too. He can eat literally anything, but he ate the only thing you could eat..lol.

Oh, and I was hungry yesterday, too. I just distracted myself and was better today. I think work and meetings got me off schedule, so I waited way too long between eating something.

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/18 3:19 am
VSG on 01/12/17

There is no actual rule about carbs, it just tends to bring on cravings for bad foods. Low carb does promote fat loss though! I just in the last couple months have gone from low low carb to whatever I hit now.

Gwen M.
on 6/24/18 7:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

+1 :)

My plan has no rule for carbs either - but, at least in the beginning, I never had any room for carbs if I wanted to make my protein goal and stay to my other guidelines. The main one being "3 meals a day, no snacks."

I also know, from experience and science, that carbs do not bring satiation. Satiety comes with proteins and fats. So not only do carbs make me want more carbs, but they don't "fill me up" the way other foods do, leaving me hungry for more food in general! Not a good combination.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PCBR
on 6/24/18 8:58 am, edited 6/24/18 1:59 am

Yes, I?m well familiar with the science of carbs...years of dieting, including atkins, zone, even lindora. That said, not all carbs are evil. For me, the right carbs in the right amounts help with both energy and weight loss. That said, like you, I don?t have room after meeting my protein needs. I also do not consider myself very active at this stage. Maybe at 6wks when I can work out, I?ll introduce more. I definitely do NOT want to have to carb detox again like I did during the pre op diet. That 3 day headache and ?keto flu? feeling are miserable?our dumb brains will do anything to get some of that sweet, easy energy.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/26/18 7:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Carbs don't help at all with weight loss. Very loiw carb, going into ketosis, help boost fat burning, and hence weight loss.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

PCBR
on 6/26/18 11:24 pm

They do if they help you with killer, muscle building workouts :)

I am big believer in keeping carbs low and of high quality, but the healthiest and strongest I've been in my life included them. It's when I stopped counting them and stopped balancing them with protein and stopped moving that I went off the rails.

Teresa G.
on 6/24/18 9:46 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Yes, my surgeon allowed me to skip the pureed stage, as long as I can mush my food with a fork and chew-chew-chew. A few times I reverted to the old me and swallowed something without chewing as thoroughly as I should, and it was a wake-up for sure!

Protein definitely keeps me satisfied much better than carbs. The old me would eat and eat and eat literally hundreds and hundreds of carb grams, yet never be satiated. Better for me to avoid the simple ones and enjoy the complex ones in moderation.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

PCBR
on 6/24/18 10:54 am

Have you ever seen the riced cauliflower that you buy in the frozen section? You can whip those up like mashed potatoes and they aren't bad. Just mentioning since it looks like you like cauliflower.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views