Discouraged

gh438
on 10/30/18 4:02 am
VSG on 10/18/18

Yesterday started like any other day since surgery. Rolled out of bed, threw on my shorts and hoodie and went for my walk. Things went downhill from there.

When I started getting ready for work I felt fuzzy headed, like I was going to pass out. At lunch I went to Urgent Care. They did lab work and said everything looked normal except for some numbers associated with my kidneys. They sent me,to the ER to get fluids and have them check me out.

Turns out I was dehydrated. Wtf?!?! I have been sipping all day. A day hasn't gone by when I haven't hit my numbers. I am feeling discouraged at this point. I don't know what I can do differently to prevent this. Any suggestions ot pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

AnnieG522
on 10/30/18 4:13 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I'm sorry you had a bad, scary day with your fluids. Hormones play a huge part in how our water works with hydration, and as you lose fat, you lose some of the hormones associated with the process. My kidneys tend to be "dry"....and yes, I too hit my water numbers every day.

Cut back on anything that might be interfering, like salty things if you like them. (I do.) If you do the pinch test on the top of your hand or arm, and the skin doesn't go right back, you are losing water so you would know to up it a bit. And maybe do some Crystal light or whatever helps you get fluids.

I'm sure you know coffee/tea/caffeine is a diuretic and will cause you to lose water.

I struggle more with blood sugar drops (like in the low 50s, which is dangerous) and I have yet to figure out the rhythm.

We knew our "old" bodies better; this is a constant learning curve. Hang in there! You've got this.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

gh438
on 10/30/18 4:20 am
VSG on 10/18/18

Thank you. I've been staying away from coffee and tea per doctor's orders. Especially this early on. I figured it had to be my sugar. It was just a shock to learn it was dehydration.

I see my surgeon Wednesday for 2 week followup and I'll see what he has to say.

This is just a speebump. I got this. And I know I have an amazing support group in my OH family.

On the plus side ... Ive lost 30lbs since the journey started and 18 since surgery.

6'1" Male

sweetpotato1959
on 11/5/18 10:29 pm

Annie, I also have trouble with blood sugar drops. Mine have been documented to 30's fairly regularly.My system changes every so often meaning i need to tweak my diet to maintain control. here is what I do and why. If you have further questions just post and i will clarify.

It is so hard to get them up and maintain level. Here are some things that have helped me. since every body is different and accepts surgery and insulin releases differently. these guidelines may help you find your sweet spot. Blood sugars being out of whack cause dehydration and loss of minerals as well. Just as a diabetic excretes too much magneisum so does the hypoglyemic. K2 and magnesium citrate( pill form) help me to maintain... stops the muscle cramps.

Do a diet diary on PAPE R every day. exact amounts ,every bite of protein and all carbs you consume. Include exact times and combinations. then follow up with the symptoms and when they occur and the timing of those. Doing a review of these once a week.. or as symptoms occur .. will help you anticipate and change the numbers and stop the drops eventually.

Do not despair. Once my sugars drop...it takes me at least 2 days to get it back on track and I feel sluggish for at least 3 days. This is not your problem ALONE and you are not alone. i was hypoglycemic way before i had WLS in 94. I also take bitter melon 1x a day, 15 days each month.

Artifiicial sweetners trigger a blood sugar crash for me, I can only use Cane Sugar and Pyure or Now brands of Stevia. Those chrystal ligh****ers many recommend are one thing i was able to isolate. Before the sugar nazzi's scream... "sugar no!" remember 50 grams carbs a day- means ANY sugar amounts are routinely kept low and for a rare treat, I drink tea( rarely), coffee( 2-3 cups daily) and ice water.. all unsweet totally. no fruit juices routinely,no veggie juices.( hidden sugars)

Consider adding lemon juice or a slice of lemon, or a slice of orange to your water. this helps some people get more in....

Also consider getting a very good water filter system and removing the flouride and chlorine from your water and ice..

Part of the time i also structure my water.. (simple process get some glass marbles, wash them well and pour the filtered water back and forth between two cups thru a funnel filled with the marbles.- it adds oxygenation to the water like is done in nature.,(seems to help with assimilation of the water?.). I try to do mine back and forth 7 times. since 7 is a number of completeness. Cheap to try, to see if you can tell the difference.)

My carb servings are 2 ounces, normally. if i need to add carbs, I add one ounce to help wth blood sugar regulation. Carbs pull the trigger mechanism to get insulin to break down the protein..(.according to the Mosby handbook of nursing.) adequate amount is required to keep sugars up while protein digestion is taking place.

Complex carbs are best...for this process. a few bites( 1-1.5oz.) of a sweet potato, or a up to 2 oz. baked potato, IF these are not your trigger foods. My trigger is now 4 ounces of most complex carbs.My pouch holds 5-6 ounces tops. so I eat protein and include a few bites of carbs with it.. to give variety. Vitamins that is why they make them... to take as neeeded. colloidial minerals magnesium, K2 , vitamin c , vitamin D and B complex sublingual.

My goal is to keep my carbs to no more than 3 ounces carbs per 30 grams of protein. ( before surgery it was 6 ounces and my stomach held 44 ounces.total.)

My protein needs are 90 grams and i try to get these evenly thru the day 30 for morning 30 by 1pm and 30 for supper. carbs are the regulaor for me. I often have to have some carbs before i can get off the bed,( dizziness...and other low sugar symptoms.****ep a few crackers (3-4 ritz type) at bedside for this purpose. and have with first cup of coffee with 1 oz lactose free milk for creamer.IF I need them.2 cups of coffee is my norm... hen breakfast is 2 or 3 eggs, usually scrambled 1 or 2 slices of bacon, just the lean parts,all fat is given to the dog.. and half peice of toast. after 30 min i sip on water or chew ice. after 3 hours i get some kind of protein snack...2-3 ounces.( no fruit, no carbs.).. a spoon of peanut butter a small peice cheese would work for most people. after 30 min resume ice/water. continual til late lunch.. time s close. 3 oz meat protein w/ limit of 10 grams carbs... same for supper. usually 4 oz meat, Possibly a light snack late night- depending on whether my pouch accepted all my protein earlier....if it did not I try to get that in. and i might add up to 3 crackers..

Grim_Traveller
on 10/30/18 6:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Burning fat uses a lot of water, just as burning wood uses a lot of oxygen.

The suggestions for amount of fluid is a general one. However much you've been getting, it's not nearly enough. I feel like poo if I get less than 120 ounces in a day. I'm usually over 200.

Drink drink drink.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

PCBR
on 10/30/18 6:25 am

TMI question: What color is your urine? That's an easy way to help monitor hydration. Go for clear! While some of the vitamins we take can give us some nice, fluorescent pee, it's a different color than when we are dehydrated.

Its great that you sip all day. Are you measuring your actual intake? Early on, tiny sips at a time seem like all we can do, and it feels so hard to get enough. I do have good news for you: it will get easier! I remember feeling so sad that for the rest of my life, I'd be having to drink water, which I love (I'm weird), in dainty little sips. Now, I can take normal sips. I can't chug 16oz like I once could, but I can drink like a normal person.

Hang in there!

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/30/18 8:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I like this chart for reference:

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gh438
on 10/30/18 8:32 am
VSG on 10/18/18

I've been getting in 70 to 80oz daily since surgery. I minutes my urine closely,because I've been paranoid about dehydration.

Going by the beer chart I've been good. Which is why I was so shocked.

6'1" Male

MissSunshineCo
on 10/30/18 8:28 am, edited 10/30/18 1:28 am
VSG on 10/15/18

Thanks for sharing.

Don't be discouraged! I also had my sleeve done on 10/15/2018, not to far apart from you!! :)

This does bring up a good question if anyone can help.

I usually get around 60-80 oz of water in by about 5pm.

Then I tend not to drink too much after 5pm, maybe a sip here and there.

Question:

1. Is this ok? or should I spread my liquids out more evenly during the day?
  2. Is this why I might be feeling more "hungry" in the evenings?" I usually have approx 60-65 oz of Protein by approx 6:30pm, hungry by 8pm.

Cheer up!! This is only the beginning of a fantastic journey!

Surgery Date: 10/15/2018 Female 5'5"

~~ HW: 213 SW: 202.4 CW: 158.6 GW: 145 ~~

Let the weight loss begin!!

gh438
on 10/30/18 8:34 am
VSG on 10/18/18

Thank you! I got this. We all do. We are all making this beautiful journey together and I have never been a part of such a wonderfully supportive group.

6'1" Male

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views