Trying to get back on track and would love support!

midwiferywoman
on 10/30/18 9:12 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

I'm back after a good long time and I'm looking to get back on track and would love some support and input on how to get my head back in the game. Just a quick intro about me . . .

Lap band in 2010 removed in 2015 due to port erosion, VSG in Dec 2015. Goal weight has always been around 140lbs, the lowest I got was 148lbs at my one year VSG checkup. After that, I settled around 150-155lbs and was comfortable there. Clothes fit, I had energy, I felt good and I didn't have to work hard to maintain it. It seemed like my body was happy with 154lbs. Got pregnant for the second time in 2017 and had the best pregnancy, (SO much better than my first where I started out 35lbs heavier!), only gained 27lbs and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within a month. And I even dropped a little lower than usual in those first few months. But now, baby boy is nine months old and my weight has been creeping up a little. I'm at 160lbs now and that, combined with baby belly that hasn't shrunk all the way yet, isn't comfortable. I feel like for the last two years I've been eating and living like a "normal" person (not someone who had surgery) and it was working. I mean, obviously, I can eat less than most people but it was pretty easy to do. But the stress of a new baby and a new house in the last year and some other issues I'm working through has probably made my habits start leaning towards the old me, emotional eating, zero exercise, very little sleep sometimes due to baby. I want to stop this weight creeping up now! I don't want to just pretend it's not happening and the next thing I know, I'm 200lbs again and hating life. I'm going to be 40 in just over three months. I would love to get myself back on track and get down to 140lbs by then. That's only 20lbs. Never in my life do I remember ever having ONLY 20lbs to lose. I have this amazing tool, I just need to remember how to work it so that it works for me!

I would love to hear from anyone else in a similar situation or anyone with suggestions! What's the best way to get back on track? I feel like it's been so long that I can barely remember the rules. I don't weigh or measure or track food. I eat kinda healthy but I eat carbs and sweets when I want them. I try to focus on protein but I don't obsess over it. What about doing a pouch test? Or is that just pointless? Or maybe should I start with a week of liquids or something? I need a solid plan to get it together . . . and any meal plan or meal prep ideas you have would be wonderful as well!

Thanks in advance! I know so many of you on here have so much experience . . . I know you can teach me a lot!

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

NYMom222
on 10/31/18 2:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

First of all congratulations on the new baby. That's exciting and so great you had a good pregnancy.

I understand the fear and wanting to stop the weight creep... but you are being hard on yourself and panicking. You said you were very happy at 154 and now you are 160. So rather than thinking you have 20lbs to lose, I would work on the 6 and get back to where you felt good- make that the goal. Doesn't mean you can't go further but you may be ok with that weight again.

Having a small baby is hard and lack of sleep lack of schedule works against you.

Forget the pouch test - just get back to a healthy protein first diet. My surgeon always said- Protein first, then veggies and then if you have any room fruit then carbs (starchy ones). Doesn't say never have them- just put them on the end of the list.

I always found higher protein better for weight loss -aimed for 100g at least- so if you think adding a protein drink will help do it.

Drink your 64oz of water. Don't drink while eating or for 30 minutes after.

Try to get 30 minutes of activity/exercise most days- take a walk with the baby in the stroller or do exercise on your living room floor. For a long time I did 21 day fix by Beachbody. The routines are 30 minutes. Do not do their diet.

There is also an app called 8fit that gives you 10 minute routines and is customizable somewhat.

Good luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

midwiferywoman
on 10/31/18 5:10 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

NYMom, Thank you!

You make a good point that maybe I should focus on smaller goals. Six pounds would be a good start. I think my 40th birthday looming is making me a little anxious and I'm hoping that feeling a little more in control is going to make it easier to handle when it gets here.

I will definitely start focusing more on protein . . . I lean toward carbs and need to get out of that habit.

As for the exercise, it's going to be more of a challenge because I work full time and it's so hard to think about spending more time away from my kiddos to work out when I already spend so much time away working. Taking them for a walk after work would be nice, but it's just doesn't seem like much of a workout. Before kids, I was definitely a gym girl. But I guess we've gotta start somewhere!

Just curious . . .what's the problem with the 21 day fix? I've never tried it or been tempted to, but I know people who like it. Does it just not work for people with surgery?

Thanks again for the input!

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/18 4:28 am
VSG on 01/12/17

NYMom gave you great advice on how to get back on track! I'll add do that, some of it reiterating what she's said already.

Forget a pouch reset and forget a liquid diet. There's no point in a liquid diet since your stomach can handle regular food. Most importantly is to weigh and track what you eat, and I mean everything. I look at it this way: Three french fries off your kid's plate - 10 calories per fry (yes I have looked this up). The couple of candies from a candy dish - 25 to 60 calories, or more if you're out of hard candy and into chocolate. Everything you nibble on has calories (I have learned the hard way) and over the course of the day those little things add up to a lot of wasted calories you aren't accounting for and for a lot of us it does make a decent impact on us.

I always think it is nice to track how you are eating now, just a regular day/week, then look over your days and see what your calories are at and start decreasing it, removing junk in favor of healthy things and lowering your calories.

Be kind to yourself! It is easy to feel like a failure, even when we have a lot to show for ourselves. I've thrown my fair share of pity parties, but the advice and kindness I get from my close friends and family and often more so here has kept me going. Join us on the menu boards, see how we eat and just take part in our fun!

midwiferywoman
on 10/31/18 5:14 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Marshmallow . . . you make a good point. The little things definitely add up. I'm a nurse so there is always food and candy and snacks in every dept I go to and it's so easier to just graze and snack all day long. Which is totally negating the purpose of my pouch! Is there a certain app you prefer for tracking? I have My Fitness Pal but never liked it much . . . Maybe I need to go back to the FitBit.

I'll definitely check out the menu boards. I really need meal suggestions!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/18 7:00 pm, edited 10/31/18 12:00 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I use myfitnesspal, which is connected to fitbit. There is https://www.loseit.com/ which I have seen used. If you have a smart phone, which I'm guessing you do and it is an iphone, there is a health tracker on it already. Samsung has one as well that comes on their galaxies.

Also, I know the pain of nursing staff and their snacks. I've started my progress towards nursing school and work as a tech currently in a hospital. There is food and snacks every. single. night. I work night shift, so all of us are prone to snacking while up all night I think. Thankfully I make sure to take lots of with me of my own planned snacks.

Kathy S.
on 10/31/18 5:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

midwiferywoman
on 10/31/18 5:17 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Wow, Kathy . . . thank you! That is a lot of really helpful info! I know I need to make some major changes and just get back into the good habits. It's a little daunting but I think it's totally doable!

Kathy S.
on 10/31/18 5:44 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I will be honest with you I had several starts and fails but found if I made a few of the changes to get back to the basics it really helped.

Reach out any time, we are all here for you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/18 7:02 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Welcome back! As I'm sure you know, it is hormonally very difficult to lose weight when you aren't getting enough sleep or are too stressed. So if I were you, I would start by brainstorming how your family and community can help you get more sleep.

Here are my rules for getting back on track. I focus on time-restricted nourishing eating.

• Give body at least 14 hours of fasting every day. More is better.
  • Eat 1-3 meals per day, no snacking
  • Very limited or none: grains, cow cheese/milk, sweeteners, non-berry fruits
  • Limit processed foods: protein bars, low carb treats. Eat real food.
  • Eat vegetables of all different colors - at least 6 cups per day (veggie smoothies)
  • Eat fermented vegetables, sea vegetables, and mushrooms
  • Eat fatty fish--sardines, mackerel, herring, and wild salmon
  • No soybean, corn, safflower, or canola oils. Instead eat olive, coconut, ghee, butter, flax, and avocado oils.
  • Meat without growth hormone and antibiotics
  • No artificial sweeteners other than monk fruit
  • Drink apple cider vinegar before meals. Drink green tea and herbal tea throughout the day.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views